Buskerfest in Christchurch


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 3rd 2010
Published: February 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, technically we're not in Christchurch right now. We've cleared right out of New Zealand entirely and have moved on to Australia, but more about that later. First -- the end of our time in NZ:

We spent quite a bit of time being entertained by the International Buskerfest that was going on. It's an annual thing, and is quite a big deal - people come from all over, both to watch and entertain. Things we saw: the typical unicyclists, jugglers, contortionists--but that was just me and Nancy. We also saw acrobats, fire-eaters, handstands on 20 foot ladders, and hours of comedic entertainment both in parks downtown during the day and also at clubs in the evening. Heaps of fun.

The town itself was cool. We put lots of miles on our feet. The huge park right in the middle of downtown is amazing, we can see why the city apparently was rated as the number one "liveable" city in the world. Oh yeah, and there are cool pubs (e.g. the Holy Grail pub, with the most massive TV you've ever seen) to watch endless games of cricket, should one wish. We think it would take endless games just to figure out the scoring system of cricket. Unfortuantely, we missed the rugby season. Crikey.

Our last night in Christchurch wasn't exactly luxury-- we had to get to the airport at 3:30 a.m., so we just crashed in our rental car in a parking lot. Somebody's feet really stunk, but we still managed to catch a few zee's. Or, more appropriately, 'zeds'.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Avon RiverAvon River
Avon River

Avon calling.
When the clouds move in...When the clouds move in...
When the clouds move in...

They really move in. This was at elevation, and we disappeared in a matter of minutes.
Banks peninsulaBanks peninsula
Banks peninsula

Just outside Christchurch


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb