On to the land of the Kiwi


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
August 26th 2008
Published: August 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 510 (20/08/08)

Not really getting any sleep whatsoever, Andre and Franny came over to pick us up in the middle of the night for our trip to the airport. Slightly overestimating the time it would take we arrived with plenty of time for a coffee and a bite to eat with them before an emotional goodbye - you know we'll really miss you guys! Bleary eyed we checked our bags in and went through to all of the necessary checks before a lengthy wait catching up on the olympics on the TV and yesterday's paper.

4am we boarded our quick hop to Sydney getting our first plane brekkie inflight, and after a rush through to catch our transfer we had our second brekkie on the next flight (i reckon those hobbits were onto something with their second breakfasts!) The excitement for the second part of the trip really set in just before we arrived in Christchurch as we looked out of the plane window to see the snow covered alps of the South Island.

We'd decided to rent a campervan for a few weeks in NZ so landing in Christchurch we called our hire company and managed to get picked up from the terminal to sort out the paperwork and take charge of our very own 'green machine'. Our illuminous green campervan (now nicknamed Irene) was great. With bench seats that fold into a double bed and a kitchenette in the back all converted from a toyota people carrier - it was a luxury (well modern day version of) Nora!

Pulling in supplies from a local supermarket we hit the road north with the aim of getting to Hanmer Springs for the evening. As we were a little sleep deprived we had a pit stop for some energy drinks but made it there in pretty good time! Taking a poke around town we eventually found a place to park up on the side of the road for the night and settled in for what was a rather chilly night's sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



14th September 2008

Miss you everyday
How depressing was that morning... and a tad sleep deprived. Hope you guys are having an awesome time in my homeland. Miss you like you wouldn't even believe. Love you forever! Franny. xo. P.s woohoo I got a mentioning in you blog haha. xoxoxoxoxo

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb