Of sheep and worms


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
October 19th 2008
Published: October 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Imagine I carry with me a giant pin everywhere I go and, since I'm in Christchurch, I'm going to try and cross the Earth with it...let's see, let's see...we're in Mondonhedo!!!...yes, Ladies and Gentlemen...we can't get any further: New Zealand is on the other side of the planet (Spanish perspective, of course!!) and, Christchurch on the other side of Mondonhedo, from there to Ferrol, a stone's throw so, family and friends, I feel you as far from me as ever and I'm craving as I never did before a cup of caldo galego...if you make a hole and put your head inside...maybe we can see each other...

After 3 weeks spent in tropical islands, we landed in Christchurch to a deadly 3 degrees Celsius... "spring has just sprung" and nights and mornings are chilly...

We spent our 1st night behind bars... I mean in a hostel that, up to 1999, was a prison... with a DVD player in the room... we had a good night, but the next 2 were even better thanks to our Couchsurfing host. For those of you who don't know it, it's an association of people with a common idea: hospitality, To help those who visit your community by offering a bed or a sofa to crash for the night, a meal, a shower or a city tour; for the ones who think it's dangerous I'll tell you this: all members have references and you know where you're going; when you get a bed in a dorm with another 15 people, you have more chances of having something stolen... and you pay for it!!!. Our host took us to beautiful places, cooked dinner for us (and loved the tortilla Dax and I cooked), helped us to organize everything we needed and, above all, she taught us the art of the Tim Tam slams: Tim Tams are chocolate biscuits and you have to bite the ends off, dip them in a hot drink of your choice and suck the liquid trough the biscuit until you feel it reaches your tongue... then quickly put the biscuit in your mouth where it will slowly melt away... apparently, there are some people who don't like it... can't really understand it!!

But Dax and I are country mice, so we left the city after only 3 days and 28 kms cycled on bike-friendly roads... but we realized we will never make it cycling the island in a month (as it has about 1000 kms from North to South... in a straight line!!!) going up and down the mountains and fighting an ever-present wind so, instead of getting stressed (which is NOT what we came here for!) we rented a van, took the ferry and arrived in the North Island to spend 2 weeks while spring settles in the South Island and it will be nicer to sleep outdoors... while in the ferry I got stuck, for the 1st time in my life, in the toilet, when I went for a "last minute wee" as we were arriving in Wellington... as I was imaginig Dax waiting for me in the car and all the other passengers pissed off (funny enough I only pictured Dax sitting patiently in the car, but NEVER angry!) because they couldn't get off the ferry, I heard someone coming into the toilet, so I started to shout "I'm stuck, can you call someone, please?"... the woman tried to open my door but, when she noticed it was closed, instead of helping me, the bitch turned the lights off and went into the next cubicle... thankfully, my Charming Prince didn't go the car, but was waiting for me outside the toilets and he came in to my rescue when he heard me shouting; when I heard his voice, I swear, I heard angels singing and, with his magic touch, the cursed door released me from my imprisonment, while the bitch was weeing next door as if nothing had happened... the part of me that is as bitch as she was, secretly wished for her to get stuck as well, while the Buddhist part of me told the other one off for even think about it "you have done enough bad killing all those innocent ants and mosquitoes in the Cooks... it was time to pay"... damn!!

After a couple of days sleeping in the middle of nowhere, we arrived at Tongariro National Park, at the Whakapapa ski station, better know among Lord of the rings fans as Mordor; a place with no trees, only black rocks, yellow mosses and... white snow!!; there, we spent a freezing night, as close to each other as we could, trying to sleep inside 2 sleeping bags and with the duvet up to our ears... the mountain and valley views the next morning made it all worth...

In Taumaruni I decide to have a haircut and I went into a hair dresser who wanted to charge me $15; I thought it was a bit too expensive for just using the shaving machine so I decided to try in a men barber, where a funny and surprised grandpa cut it for me for free while saying "there aren't many pretty girls coming into my shop"... later he confessed that, normally, when a woman comes in, he sends her away as they are too much trouble... and he's too old for that...

With a light head we booked a tour to the Waitomo Caves and, after 4 days sleeping in the van, we treated ourselves with 2 nights in a caravan park... mainly to have a much neede shower...

The glowworms were very shinny, but even more were the 2 Japanese girls in our "team" that made us laugh without even try to be funny... from the moment they started to say yes to everything when they didn't understand it, to when they told Stewart that they saw The Duchess after he told them he was dutch, or when one of them lost her floater while doing black water rafting and then her boots while going through a tunnel... we enjoyed them so much that the next day I had more muscle pains in my belly from laughing that in my arms from climbing... we abseiled 25 meters down a rope, we got wet, we crawled, we got covered in mud, did black water rafting while looking at worms with glowing poo (that's why they shine!!) and climbed the 25 meters back up... and paid for it!!! it was so cool that we'll pay to do it again!!

The best: worms with glowing poo!!
The worse: the cold



De ovejas y gusanos



Supongamos que llevo un alfiler gigante conmigo a todas partes y, ya que estoy en Christchurch, voy a probar si se puede atravesar la Tierra con el...a ver, a ver... ¡¡¡pero si estamos en Mondonhedo!!!...si, damas y caballeros...ya no podemos llegar mas lejos: Nueva Zelanda esta al otro lado del planeta (¡¡perspectiva espanhola, por supuesto!!) y, Christchurch en concreto, ¡¡al otro lado de Mondonhedo!!!!, y de ahi a Ferrol, un tiro de piedra, asi que, familia y amigos, ahora mismo os siento tan lejanos como jamas os he sentido y tengo mas ganas que nunca de unha cunca de caldinho galego...si haceis un agujero y meteis la cabeza...a lo mejor nos vemos...

Despues de 3 semanas en islas tropicales, aterrizamos en Christchurch con 3 grados centigrados... para morirse!!!; la primavera no ha hecho mas que empezar y se nota en las manhanas y noches "frescas"...

Pasamos nuestra primera noche entre rejas... quiero decir, en un hostal que, hasta 1999 era una prision... con DVD en la habitacion no lo pasamos tan mal... pero mejor aun lo pasamos las 2 noches siguientes, gracias a nuestra anfitriona del Couchsurfing. Para el que no lo sepa, es una asociacion de gente con una idea comun: la hospitalidad, el ayudar a los que visitan tu comunidad ofreciendo una cama, una comida, una ducha o un paseo por tu ciudad; para el que este pensando que es peligroso le digo esto: todos los miembros tienen referencias y sabes donde te metes; cuando duermes en un hostal, compartiendo habitacion con otras 15 personas, tienes mas posibilidades de que te roben... y aun encima pagas por ello!!!. Nos hizo de cenar (y a ella le encanto la tortilla que Dax y yo nos curramos!), nos llevo a sitios preciosos y nos ayudo a organizar todo lo que necesitabamos... pero, sobre todo, nos ensenho el arte de los Tim Tam slam: los Tim Tam son unas galletas de chocolate a las cuales les muerdes los bordes, las metes en liquido caliente, sea leche, te o cafe, chupas el susodicho liquido a traves de la galleta hasta que notas que llega a la lengua y te metes la galleta en la boca donde se deshace lentamente... parece ser que hay gente a quien no le gusta... raritos...

Pero como Dax y yo somos ratones de campo, nos fuimos de la ciudad tras solo 3 dias en los que pedaleamos un total de 28 kms por carreteras preparadas para las bicis... pero nos dimos cuenta de que nunca lograriamos pedalear toda la isla en un mes ya que tiene unos 1000 kms de Norte a Sur... en linea recta!!!, asi que, en lugar de estresarnos (que NO es a lo que hemos venido!!), alquilamos una furgoneta, cogimos el fery y nos plantamos en la Isla NOrte a pasar dos semanas mientras la primavera se asienta en la Isla Sur y las temperaturas sean mas agradables para dormir a la intemperie.

En el ferry, por 1a vez en mi vida, me quede encerrada en el banho, al ir a hacer un pis de ultima hora cuando llegabamos a Wellington... cuando ya me imaginaba a Dax esperandome en el coche y a los demas pasajeros cabreados (es gracioso que solo me imagine a Dax sentado pacientemente en el coche y NUNCA enfadado!) porque no podian bajar del barco, oi entrar a alguien y me puse a chillar: "estoy encerrada!!, puedes avisar a alguien?"... la mujer intento abrir mi puerta pero, al ver que estaba cerrada, la muy puta me apago la luz y se metio en el retrete de al lado... menos mal que mi Principe azul no se habia ido al coche sino que me estaba esperando en la puerta del banho y, al oirme gritar, entro a rescatarme; cuando oi su voz, os lo juro, oi angeles cantando... solo con tocar la puerta, se abrio magicamente, mientras la puta meaba en el retrete de al lado como si nada... la parte de mi que es tan puta como ella deseo secetamente que tambien se quedara encerrada... la parte de mi que es budista rinho a la otra por solo pensarlo...

En Taumarunui decidi cortarme el pelo y entre en una peluqueria donde me querian cobrar $15 por pasarme la maquina, lo cual me parecio un poco excesivo y me meti en un barbero donde un abuelete muy sorprendido me lo corto gratis porque "no entran muchas chicas guapas en mi tienda"... luego nos confeso que cuando una mujer entra, la echa porque le dan demasiados problemas... y es muy viejo par eso...

Con la cabeza ligera reservamos un tour para ver los gusanos fluorescentes de Waitomo Caves y, despues de 4 dias durmiendo en la furgoneta, nos regalamos 2 noches en un parque de caravanas... para darnos 1 ducha... que ya era hora...

Los gusanos brillaban mucho, pero mas brillaban las 2 japonesas de muestro equipo que nos hicieron reir mucho sin intentarlo: desde que decian a todo que si porque no se enteraban de nada hasta que una de llas perdio el flotador haciendo rafting y luego las botas al pasar por un tunel... nos hicieron reir tanto que al dia siguiente tenia mas agujetas en la berriga que en los brazos de escalar...

Lo mejor: los gusanos con caca fluorescente
Lo peor: el frio



Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 30


Advertisement



19th October 2008

ke envidia niña!!
hey,guys i am hook in your stories,is like a movie,im enjoying ur trip as well,besoooos!! ps.(creo ke hook es enganchao,,o no???)
20th October 2008

agujero
Hubo un momento en que os notamos más cerca, no sabiamos el motivo, pero al ver las fotos nos dimos cuenta, os habiais metido en un agujero para acercaros un poco. Esperamos que sigais pasándolo como lo estais haciendo,y por favor mandarnos más fotos para poder disfrutar y conocer esos lugares que de otra manera no podríamos. Cuidaros mucho un beso de family.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb