Hotel SO


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 16th 2008
Published: March 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Somehow I stumbled upon the recently opened Hotel SO, and it was one of the coolest hotel rooms I can say that I have stayed in. While it was tiny (probably 9' by 10' or so), it had a thin flat screen or possibly plasma TV at the foot of the bed. When you turned it on, by default it was on the "wake" channel, with cool pictures of nature and soothing mild tones in the background. While I did not use the wake feature of the TV and console next to the bed, would have been cool to wake to on a regular basis.

The commode and shower area were entirely enclosed in a 5' radius within a 90 degree area. There was about a 16" area between the foot of the bed and the wall, and plenty of room for baggage directly under the bed. Don't think this room would have worked very well for two people, but it worked great for me. At only NZD $77/night (or roughly USD $63/night) I thought this place was a great value.

Supposedly the current owner of Hotel SO had some litigation incident with the previous owners and ended up
Commode and Shower Stall areaCommode and Shower Stall areaCommode and Shower Stall area

Again, only 5' in depth at most, and circular, running from one wall to the adjacent perpendicular wall, and oddly enough, it felt like there was plenty of room in that area.
buying the property back from them and converting it into a hotel. The SO in the name supposedly means Sought Off or something thereabouts in New Zealand-eaze, which is probably a slightly more diplomatic way of how we might say F@%!O(MISSING)ff in this country.

Click here if you would like more information on Hotel SO. I would highly recommend it, a very 21st century experience.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Console AreaConsole Area
Console Area

Contains the alarm clock built in.
Fancy Alarm ClockFancy Alarm Clock
Fancy Alarm Clock

The default mood was mountain ranges with time elapse photography with soothing mild tones. Other moods included the same video with no sound, as well as one with the audio and video of very small waves lapping at the shore.
Double Sized BedDouble Sized Bed
Double Sized Bed

I think that is its size. Baggage easily fits underneath. The mirror covers the entire far wall from the bed to the ceiling. I guess that is supposed to make the room feel bigger.
Flat Panel TVFlat Panel TV
Flat Panel TV

Or plasma or something. In any case, it seemed like an HD device as everything came through crystal clear on it. Quite nice at the end of a day of walking all over the place.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb