Antarctica Center and White Water Rafting


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
February 23rd 2007
Published: February 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Greetings all.

Well, I have hit the ground running in New Zealand!

This past week I went to the Antarctic Center and went white water rafting down the Rangitata River.

Christchurch is also called “The Gateway to the Antarctic” as it is the central hub in which to leave for Antarctica. North American, Australia, New Zealand and other Asia-Pacific countries fly into Christchurch to refuel for the 7 hour journey to Antarctica. The Antarctic Center is a major tourist attraction and certainly did not disappoint. There is an Antarctic storm simulation room that emits wind and cold to drop the temperature in the room to -30 degrees Fahrenheit. It was pretty damn cold—but I have certainly felt colder temperatures in Kansas. I watched a Little Blue Penguin feeding—yes, more Little Blue Penguins. They are the only damn penguins I have seen—Philip Island, Sydney Aquarium and now the Antarctic Center. The Antarctic Center is essentially a rescue haven for injured/ill penguins. One penguin, named Alex, had a paralyzed left wing……wait for it……he could only swim in circles! Ha! I have a video to prove it…..check it out under the “video” tab.

On Sunday, Feb. 25th, I went with a group of 19 other study abroad students on a white water rafting trip down the Rangitata River. Rangitata is a Maori word—the Maori’s are the native New Zealanders, similar to the American Indians or Australian Aborigines—that translates to “River from the Sky.” The Rangitata River is formed in part from the run off of melting glaciers high in the mountains and is bright sky blue—hence the name “River from the Sky.” The River rafting crew picked us up from The Mill and drove us to Rangitata Gorge which is located in the middle of the South Island at the north end of the Southern Alps. The adventure included a deli-style lunch, an afternoon trip down the Rangitata River where we navigated two different sets of class 5 rapids (the highest classification of navigable rapids—class 5 rapids are very dangerous, but do not usually result in death/drowning—class 6 rapids are unnavigable) and concluded the day with a BBQ dinner.

The experience was awesome! The rafting guides were great—and really funny. The views of the mountains, rocks and the river were incredible! Although I think my pictures are pretty good, they do not give the region justice. I have been white water rafting previously, but I have never rafted a class 5 rapid and never felt the intensity of those quick-moving and swirling waters on my body……

I am going camping this weekend on Mt. Cook, the highest mountain in Australasia. I am going on a 2-day hike on the mountain. From there, I am driving across the Southern Alps to the West Coast of New Zealand to go on an all-day Glacier Hike. On the way back to Christchurch I am going to camp at Arthur’s Pass—supposedly one of the most scenic places in New Zealand. Should be a great weekend!

Please take care of yourselves and have a great week!

Andy



Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Favorite LandFavorite Land
Favorite Land

Forget Iceland and Greenland, Liquorland is my favorite land.
Swappa CrateSwappa Crate
Swappa Crate

In the U.S., if you return your bottles, you receive compensation--minimal compensation (i.e. $.05 in California, $.10 in Michigan). However, New Zealand has a program called "Swappa Crate" whereby you purchase a 12-pack of 40oz beers in a crate. Upon consumption of the beverages, you return/swappa the crate for a new crate full of 40oz. A regular crate costs $40NZ, however, a swaped crate only costs $24NZ---thus, you can buy 12 40oz at$2NZ/bottle. Converted to U.S.--we are buying 40oz at $1.35. Hilarious! Its like you are losing money by not participating in the "Swappa Crate" program. Tim and Adam are posing by our "Swappa Crate."


27th February 2007

I hate you
No...really, I hate you.
28th February 2007

Wait......
.....so you're the only person who fell off the raft?!? Ha! Just kidding. You know I love you! I am so incredibly jealous. Makes a day at the bank look like....a day at the bank. Jeez.....
6th March 2007

Goin down in style
I like the fact your the only one holding your hand in the air while going down a class 3 rapid... Nutts.... Plus your in style with your "Don Dunga" sunglasses. so Jealous..

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb