DAY 5 LAUDER TO WAIPIATA (why-pea-ah-ta) via Auripo, Oturehua (o-tur-ray-hu-a), Wedderburn and Ranfurly


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Central Otago » Oturehua
February 5th 2023
Published: February 6th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Unbelievable! Belotts and Walshy
UNBELIEVABLE!

Jane and I are sitting outside NZ’s longest operating general store, “Gilchrists General Store”, in the town of Oturehua, consisting of the aforementioned store, the pub across the road, the local hall and 3 houses, when 5 blokes who have just stopped and poured out of a vehicle, give us a look, go into the store and after a while emerge and come to our table … the leader of the group, a strong, good looking guy says to me … “Are you Andrew, Andrew Belotti?” (Jane is wide eyed and shaking her head saying, “not again”, as this has occurred a few times before).

Naturally I reply in the affirmative. He continues, “You used to coach me in football and athletics. I’m Jaimie. Jaimie Walsh.” (son of the former Australian hockey great, Terry)

I hadn’t seen Jaimie for 17 years. The conversation flowed. This was provided by the universe as we had arrived in this small town and found the store closed. We saw the handy-person from the pub who said that the store should open soon (10am). We decided to wait the half hour. If we hadn’t, Jaimie and I wouldn’t have met up.

Celebrating having summited

We left Lauder before anyone else was up. The sky was overcast and rain threatened. We were unconcerned as anything was better than the heat of the previous days. A few photos and it was Waipiata here we come. The trail continued as a steady rise for 34kms passing over many bridges and rivers, the largest of which was the Manuherika Bridge over the river of the same name, through pitch black tunnels, the longest being 230m, through the spectacular Poolburn Gorge crossing the 108m long and 37m high Poolburn viaduct built from hand hewn stone, to the highest point on the trail, 618m, just out of Wedderburn. The sign said, “it’s all downhill from here.” Oh, how our mental attitude changed. A few photos, onto the bikes, change to large pedal cog and we were off, tripling our speed from our previous struggling efforts, down to Waipiata. Such joy!

We covered nearly 60kms today and arrived just after one in Waipiata. With time on our hands we had lunch at the very busy local, Jane having what she classed as the best ever tomato soup and me, chicken and mushroom pasta. Good also. The carbs will be put

Departing morning sky.
to good use tomorrow. I promise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Goodbye Lauder.


Manuherika Bridge.


Poolburn Gorge


Tunnel Number 1 ... 230m


Exiting


Looking towards Poolburn Gorge



T. Gilchrist & Son General Merchants, Oturehua.


Inside.


Jane, celebrating summited.


First selfie ... at the summit.


Really celebrating!


Wedderburn


The route continues towards Waipiata.


Wedderburn Station.


Ranfurly Station


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb