DAY 6 WAIPIATA to MIDDLEMARCH onto Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Central Otago » Middlemarch
February 6th 2023
Published: February 6th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Departing morning sky from Waipiata.
Knowing that we had to be in Middlemarch, 54kms away, by 1.20pm at the latest, we breakfasted early and hit the trail. After a little confusion of which direction to take we settled into a comfortable rhythm. As the trail steadily wound its way down towards our destination and with the wind at our backs it gave us the opportunity to enjoy the views the countryside was throwing to us. We were off our bikes many times to walk down or up tracks to take in the views.

For most of todays ride the trail was in good condition with only a few rough sections. We were warned to be very careful upon exiting the tunnel 3 kms from Hyde as the strong crosswinds could easily throw you off the trail and down the embankment. We were strongly buffeted and as the steep downhill trail changed direction the wind hut us straight on … and our speed decreased significantly!

Hyde Station was a recovery and education stop for us. With 13.5kms until Middlemarch and well ahead of time, we rolled along … I say “rolled” as our energy levels were being tested.

On the outskirts of Middlemarch we

On our way.
took photos at the Central Otago Rail Trail signs. Even though we were tired, we were pretty proud of our accomplishing, an at times, very difficult 4 days of trail riding.

Our reward … a visit to, “The Kissing Gate Café”. It’s our business what we devoured. We returned our mountain bikes, showered, and met our shuttle for the short trip to Dunedin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Countryside views.



Walking track to Tiroiti River.


Feeling the water.


Enjoying the trail.


Walking across Capburn Bridge.



Capburn Bridge. Built 1897 ... 40m long.


Looking down from middle of Capburn Bridge.


Welcoming sheep.


Price's Creek Tunnel.


Bumblebee enjoying its work.


Countryside view.


Otago Central Hotel, Hyde


Hyde Station.



Resting outside Hyde Station.


Inside.


Hyde Station in 1976


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb