Traveling Monocale


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Canterbury
January 7th 2016
Published: January 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Hi all, now in the South Island at Lincoln. Had a great time in Taupo with the hot mineral pool. Torrential rain all night and day, so good job wasn't camping. The drive and views down to Wellington I believe would be absolutely amazing.. Unfortunately such heavy rain and low cloud you could only see a few metres in front of you. Good excuse to come back to NZ. Got to Waikanae at 4pm, booked in at an Airbnb, great hosts Jill and Tom. A 20 minute walk to see friends at the retirement village and what a place..and people..Celloists, barristers, retired judges, fishermen - all walks of life, reminded me of being on a cruise ship. They have definitely got their life sorted..

Took the train into Wellington, went up the cable car, more like a funicular, and the tickets were free, given by a kind Australian woman at a coffee stop.. Had a brief look at the war museums, and had a go at the earthquake simulator. Back on the train started talking to another Kiwi couple, turned out they were huge friends with Barbara and John - Sue,s friends. Orignally from Dunedin, maybe go there.

The ferry over to the South Island was through the sounds (fjords) amazing scenery for most of the journey. Stayed overnight in Picton at an Airbnb, 5 star accommodation and self contained. Took the half hour bush walk into Picton for a meal. When Sue was here 15 years ago it was a backwater, now an upcoming marina, yuppy resort. Beautiful.

Next morning drove down to Kaikoura, this is where a lot of tourists go to whale/dolphin and seal watch. We were lucky, a few seals were right up to the shore line, and one even ended having a snooze on the wooden walkway. Tried out a crayfish fritter, very tasty, I have been told I am turning into a trainee kiwi. The drive down the coast is spectacular, you can see the fault lines, and it's been so dry here, and different vegetation to the north island, the wineries are so green in contrast to the barren, starched mountains. I hope the pics can show it.

Now in Lincoln just outside of Christchurch, dog sitting for a couple of weeks. Its Our way of saying thank you to The Triffids. Planning to go to Akaroa tomorrow, very French..then on the bus to Christchurch next week.

Loving it all x


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb