Thank you Maccas wifi


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Blenheim
August 13th 2016
Published: August 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Sitting in the capital of Sav Blanc country, Blenheim; and Aussie wines in the supermarket are cheaper, not sure what is going on!
The major supermarket chains of Coundown and New World sell alcohol in Canterbury and Marlborough, oh so handy to pick up your chops and potatoes and a vino to go with it.Today we travelled from Kaikoura to Blenheim, less than 200kms but very scenic. Along the coast initially, turquoise blue waters, with a milky shallow section, stony beaches, seals along the roadside and snow capped mountain.This scenery changed once we left Canterbury to Marlborough's rolling hills full of vineyards and of course sheep and newly born lambs.Lunch today was at The Store which is a restaurant north of Kaikoura, on its on, on the right side of road going north. Perched right on the beach, the scenery today surpassed the quality of the food, food was downright ordinary.Prior to lunch we stopped at the Oahu waterfall. This is on the left, around 15kms north of Kaikoura, and at the base of the falls is a shallow pool which is a playground for seal pups. The not yet weaned pups make their way up to this pool independently of their Mum's whilst the Mum's spend up to 3 days away fishing. The pups frolic and play in this totally safe pool and return to the beach and hopefully Mum and some much needed milk. Today there was only 5 at the pool, past years have seen up to 50 or more. They pups came right up to us on the path, 2 were having an awesome time in the pool. A department of conservation ranger was there to manage it all and answer any questions.The information centre at the railway station in Blenheim was great and told us about a great fishing site, so after booking into the caravan park we headed off to Spring Creek and the mouth of this river to the sea. A popular spot with with many people, Martin helped a friendly young man land a Kahawai, caught on pilchard bait, with a huge sea rod. Just after we started fishing a young Maori fellow pulled up and within minutes landed a big Kahawai. To our surprise he offered it to us as we were leaving. Tomorrow Nelson and family to visit.The trip to Nelson takes you through more hills and through the start of the sounds at Havelock. Your arrival in Nelson is via the huge mud flats and the port area. Nelson is at the top of the South Island, forecast is for rain, and this morning when we awoke at 10am! is is indeed gloomy, raining and grey skies.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.116s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb