Molesworth station


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Blenheim » Molesworth
March 3rd 2014
Published: March 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone - now in South Island.

Before we left North Island we spent the day at Te Papa Museum, Wellington. Last time we were here we did the three lower floors this time we started at the top and did the other 3 floors - an amazing museum dedicated to Maori history, early settlers and pioneers as well as the fauna, flora and geology of New Zealand. We got there at10.00 and left for lunch at 5.00 !!

Caught the ferry on Saturday and en route saw an article on a 1-day tour of Molesworth Station (which was on our wish list) so made the call and booked up for the next day. Geoff & Lee the organisers invited us to camp at their place as it was an early start. We camped in their paddock together with 2 Alpacas and 6 sheep.

Set off at 8.30 on Sunday morning with Geoff as our guide and just us 2. We got all the history and anecdotes of Molesworth Station from Geoff on the 120km drive (one way) to and through Molesworth on gravel road. This is high country where the smallest stations (farms) start at 20,000 hectares culminating in Molesworth itself with 180,000 hectares. The photos don't pick up the grandeur and majesty of the high country where the farm ranges from 900 - 1554 metres above sea level. It used to be used for sheep but these days only 300 sheep are retained to provide meat for the staff and dogs. Now it is a cattle station with 10,500 Angus cattle and some Herefords. For the mustering they keep 20 horses, which they breed and train themselves, and 45 dogs. There are also 6 airstrips on the station because all spraying and top dressing is done from the air. The overall impression is of wilderness, solitude and beauty. There are so few people, no noise, you just appreciate how hard it was to live and farm here - survival for the early settlers was a matter of luck. So many lost their lives, their money or just disappeared. On our way up to Molesworth we stopped at a sheep shearing shed for coffee and muffins. Ian, Al and Rob Gardner would have been quite at home. Also stopped for a picnic lunch by one of the original cob cottages from the 19C.

Finally got back
The start of our Molesworth journeyThe start of our Molesworth journeyThe start of our Molesworth journey

This station had 6,000 sheep
at 5.30, had a cup of tea with Geoff & Lee then made our way to a DOC site just outside Blenheim for the night. What a wonderful day. The site was situated in the middle of mountains and woods very spacious but with only 4 others parked for the night. Woke to the sounds of birds singing and the sun appearing over the trees. Had breakfast, put on our trainers, grabbed our cameras and went off to explore. Loads of footpaths through an ancient woodland and more birds than anywhere else so far. They included Bell Birds, some sort of woodpecker and lots of Kingfishers. We also had a fleeting glimpse of our first LIVE possum. Left quite late and drove along the Queen Charlotte Drive bordering the Sound arriving at Nelson in time to camp before going out for a meal at The Boat Shed. Temperatures dropped quite dramatically overnight with a slight frost.

We are now heading towards Abel Tasman and Golden Bay where we hope to do some sea kayaking and walking.

Lol

Lyn & Tony


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Top dressing by airTop dressing by air
Top dressing by air

Tricky flying!
Our morning coffee stop.Our morning coffee stop.
Our morning coffee stop.

There were 6 shearing stations and a few bales of wool left - loved the smell!


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb