Kayaking & walking the Abel Tasman


Advertisement
Published: March 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

As you could probably understand already, Abel Tasman park is by the sea. So why not look at it also from the sea? So we took a 2-day group tour. In the first day we kayaked. We started paddling to the Tonga island where they have a seal breeding colony, and again we were amazed by the baby seals that simply love performing in front of us. Then we paddled along the beautiful shore, to Musquito bay beach for lunch (Surprisingly, I got biten by a bee there, not just by musquitoes). They provided pretty good lunch, and long time for sun bathing. Ain't life good???
After lunch we continued to paddle and the guide took us into a river that goes to the sea there. It was really nice. It was amazing how the water temperature is so much lower in the river compared to the sea. Above us we saw the swinging bridge and the Abel Tasman walkers, with the big backpacks, and we felt really lucky.
And then to save us from paddling all the way, the guide arranged the group (4 kayaks) as a raft and opened a sail, and the wind took us quickly to Anchorage
In Anchorage BayIn Anchorage BayIn Anchorage Bay

Start of the second day - walking this time
bay, where we stayed in the night.
We stayed on a boat called "aqua packers" - well it was not as nice as normal backpackers (hostels), but better than a park hut... The promised barbeque was pretty disappointing, not like the good lunch, and so were the meals on the next day, but no complains - as long as the weather is so good and the views too, how can I complain?
On the second day we walked from Anchorage to Marahau - the start of the Abel Tasman coastal track. We took some side walks to pretty places and some view points (one required quite a steep climb but the steeper it is, the more enjoying is the view!), and then rested in another beautiful bay, before ending another nice trip!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

A beautiful beachA beautiful beach
A beautiful beach

How can I remember the names... but this beach was so amazing, the colors of the sands and the water, the rock formations. Lovely.
Would you believe it's me?Would you believe it's me?
Would you believe it's me?

Of my own free will, taking of the shoes and going to the water? They are so much cleaner here than back home
Split Apple rockSplit Apple rock
Split Apple rock

The name speaks for itself
The seal colony at Tonga IslandThe seal colony at Tonga Island
The seal colony at Tonga Island

Only accessible if you go by kayaks. The seals posed for us like in a circus!
Cleopatra PoolCleopatra Pool
Cleopatra Pool

In the beginning of the walk on the second day. We are listening to music and enjoying life!


Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 19; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb