Abel Tasman kayak trip


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

At our amazing hostel just outside of Motueka we had an outdoor pool and we were surrounded by apple orchards. It was amazing! Of course Emily and I being the daredevils that we are we went for a swim in the non-heated pool. It was freaking cold!!! We lasted about 5 minutes I’d say. Haha.

Pictures


We were up early the next morning and drove over to Marahau to get our kayaks. We had to spend almost 2 hours on land to go over all the safety things with kayaking and going over the maps so we knew where we were going. We got our kayaks all packed up. Me and Emily were in a double kayak together and Louise was in a single kayak by herself.

They have several ‘dry’ storage places in the kayaks so we managed to just get all our stuff in (tents, sleeping bags, sleep mats, food). We got all geared up (lifejacket, wetsuit skirt haha also known as a splash deck) and loaded up the kayaks onto the truck and walked down to the launching point. The guide watches us get into the water and set off and watches to see how our paddling is and then sends us on our way alone.

We kayaked up the coast for a bit and then found a really pretty beach to stop at for some snacks. It was the first time coming in to a beach and I was the person in the front I had to get out first but it’s not very balanced or steady and I fell in haha. Luckily the water wasn’t that cold. We rested up there for a bit and then jumped back in the kayaks.

We kayaked up to our camping spot which was a beautiful beach called Anchorage. This time I didn’t fall in. We pulled the kayaks up and then unloaded them. Set up our tents and then brought our kayaks up from the beach to the kayak overnight spot.

We spent the evening playing some uno and Emily and I were determined to make a fire. While we did that Louise cooked dinner (pasta). Emily really got into the fire making and built us a really nice one. Even the ranger was impressed with us haha. There are only certain places to make a fire at the campground (the metal boxes) so we had some other campers come over and join us to sit by the fire.

A really cute kiwi family came and joined us and their two kids were highly entertaining. They told us about everything, their school and vacation. They also loved to tell us jokes that were usually not funny haha but it was fun we had a good night!

A lady who was too scared to get back in to her kayak came and talked to us the next morning. She had tipped the kayak yesterday as they were coming in to the beach and her husband had got trapped and she almost drowned him as both her legs had fallen asleep and she couldn’t help him. So she was a bit freaked out and asked us if her husband could just come with us and she would water taxi to the next stop.

So me and Em kept our kayak and Louise and the other guy went in their double kayak. The weather wasn’t as nice today. Quite cloudy and the waves were much bigger. They were warning about gayle force winds later on in the afternoon so we got on the water as soon as we were all packed up. We rested up at a beach called Mosquito bay I think but it was quite cold. The tide was out so the lagoon that is normally there was out. We had a snack and then kayaked over to Tonga island which has a registered seal colony on it.

Kayaked all around it to see all the seals. Some little ones were playing in one of the small pools of water. They were entertaining. As we were kayaking away one came and jumped out of the water right next to me and Em. Took us a while to kayak from there to our final stop as the waves were quite big.

I ended up in the water AGAIN. Haha, oh well but it was cold this time and we found a spot to get changed into our warm dry clothes and eat our lunch. We took a walk up the beach and found all kinds of cool shells and some starfish.

The water taxi came to pick us and our kayaks up. We loaded our stuff onto the boat and he loaded our kayaks. The water was really rough and our boat was catching some HUGE air. It was like a rollercoaster ride. Quite good fun as long as you don’t get seasick! Haha. We stopped along the way and picked up more people.

Once we were back in Marahau we got all our gear sorted and then had to say bye to Emily as she was catching a bus back to Nelson so she could get back to Christchurch. Louise and I drove back to the hostel in Motueka and relaxed as my arms really hurt!!!!!

It was probably one the best trips I have done. It was so much fun and I never knew how awesome Kayaking is!!!! Can’t wait to do some more of it!!! And if you ever get a chance to come to New Zealand you HAVE to do the Abel Tasman!!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb