A Canadian in New Zealand - Day 5 - Piha Beach, Lion Rock, Tasman Lookout, Kitekite falls


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
April 4th 2016
Published: April 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 was spent entirely in the Piha area with a lovely black sand beach for miles. A small resort town with narrow, narrow roads! Following a walk on the beach in North Piha, I visited Piha proper to enjoy the sights. Being low tide I could walk around the "camel" to get a good view of the "gap" as well as the "keyhole"; all interesting rock formations of the area. This was followed by a steep hike up the Tasman Lookout, to get some wonderful views of the area; particularly Lion Rock, the iconic rock formation. Given that Lion Rock has a trail half way up that was my next stop. Apparently, one could hike to the top at one point until someone met their demise by falling off the steep cliff. Given the steepness of the climb, and the heights involved, I was quite OK with stopping half-way! Wonderful views of the Piha area from the this vantage point. Although my legs were getting a tad tired by now, I had one more hike to do. I had to see Kitekite Falls. Luckily, it was only half an hour to the falls as the last third of the hike was quite steep. An impressive 3-tier waterfall over a hundred metres high. A long day but well worth all the aches and pains. Maybe next time I can just sit at the beach? Nah!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

View from Lion RockView from Lion Rock
View from Lion Rock

Notice the "camel"


4th April 2016

No photos of the three tier waterfall?? Bitterly cold at home today. Hope you are enjoying the temperate climate!
10th April 2016
Lion Rock of Piha Beach

Wow.
10th April 2016
Lion Rock of Piha Beach

I walked up that rock. Amazing views.
22nd April 2016
View from Lion Rock

En effet, ça ressemble beaucoup à un chameau, juste la couleur noire fait différent, mais c'est de toute beauté!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb