Wanganui, Egmont and Forgotten World Highway


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
October 30th 2012
Published: March 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After arriving in Wanganui all ready for our 3 day canoe trip down the river we were told by the DOC site that the previous DOC site had it wrong and we were actually supposed to stay where we were for the trip. Not very amused that we drove all that way for nothing, but never mind. We decided to make the most of it and spent a day getting things done like postcards and shopping in Wanganui before heading over to Mt Egmont for a day or two. Again, very unhelpful DOC staff in Stratford we drove up the mountain for some short walks around to see if we could get a view, low clouds meant we saw nothing but fog. Once back at the car we discovered that the battery had run flat and being stuck up a mountain there were no people around to help jump start us so we lay down for the night in the carpark. Still getting on great with Caro, and like all Englishmen I am an arrogant jerk.

The next morning some guys from DOC came to do track work and helped us get the car up and running. Drove to the other side of the mountain for a slightly longer walk and got spectacular views, not a cloud in site!

That evening we headed out onto the Forgotten World Highway, a 150km drive through beautiful hills and fields that took a bit longer than expected due to the narrow, winedy roads. But eventually got back to where we were a few days earlier at Mangahuia DOC site.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb