2wks in NZ


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
June 29th 2009
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

hey all!!

so, have been in NZ with Madonna for over 2 weeks now and having a fab time!! Will give you just a quick run down of what we've been up to.

Both got to Auckland on the same day (very excited meeting at arrivals!) and had a night out in the city. Were joined by Alex and Jordan of Que Pasa fame and had a great time. Picked up our camper the following day and went to see a volcanic beach nearby, kinda cool - very windy! Pitched up at the night after a very unsuccessful hunt for a campsite and supermarket we never found! But we still had a giggle. Decided it would be a good idea to leave Auckland as driving around it was making us insane. Got as far as Raglan by nightfall and tried our hand at free camping by the roadside. Made some bloody lovely dinner and settled with a glass of goon. LOVE OUR CAMPER!! woke up to a beautiful sunrise over the sea... and a $40 parking fine on the window. Hadnt seen the 'no camping' sign. whoops! not so free after all. another giggle at our stupidity and we were off again to Waitomo. Spent the afternoon in a rather attractive wetsuit, helmet and boots flinging ourselves off rocks and down stream in a rubbber ring in a cave. come again? no really, we did. its named black water rafting as its pitch black when our head torches were off. In the caves there are glow worms and they were magnificent to see. It was the funniest, coldest thing i have ever done in water. We couldnt stop laughing as we fell off the rings, slid off rocks and generally made idiots of ourselves as usual!
Next day we saw the same cave on a guided (dry) tour for more information and another two caves to see the rock formations and more glow worms.
After Waitomo we spent a night at wolf creek (our name, not theirs) which was nice. A very scary camp site that is part of the department of conservations free sites. A creepy hut, smelly loos and howling dogs is NOT advisible!
Woke up, alive, to a lot of frost on the ground... and the weathers been no warmer since.
Next stop, Wellington, where we spent a few nights and will definately go there again on our way back up.
A very choppy ferry ride to the South Island (have never seen so many green vomiting people in all my life) and we camped not far from Blenheim. Nice walk down the beach in the morning and onto Christchurch for the night. Not planned but needed new tyres...
Back up north again, stopping at Kaikora where we went whale watching. Were really lucky, got to see 5 sperm whales!! It was really good. Had a lovely but long and cold walk around the penninsula and Donna had fresh muscles and scollops by the beach.
Headed west after that and began our drive down the west coast from Westport, through Greymouth and Hokitka. Quick overnight stop, few lookouts on ou way down and arrived in Queenstown fri 26th ready for the opening of the winter festival.
Saw a fireworks display and even saw the PM who opened the event! Had a lovely eve listening to live music and drinking mulled wine.. amoungst other things. Before we left QT Sunday we strapped ourselves into a bungy swing and flew 300ft through the air...

not bad for two weeks eh?? in between all the fun activities, we've just being enjoying the freedom of the camper, cookin dinners on our gas stove battling winds, mixing free campin with powered sites, and settling our own agendas. And oh my god, every single piece of scenery is breathtaking - its the most pleasant road journey possible!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb