Hunterville, New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
May 2nd 2009
Published: May 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This morning we left our B&B in Picton and the South Island behind as we boarded our ferry. It was very large, much like a cruise ship. The ferry ride lasted 3 hours and we spent it taking pictures, socializing, and collaging. Well, I was collaging and mom was doing puzzles and reading. After a bit of collaging, I had a bit of an audience! Mostly children but an elderly couple questioned me about it too. What started from boredom ended up entertaining me for a few hours (and maybe a couple of children).

Once we crossed over into Wellington, we got our new rental car (we had dropped off our other one on the other side). This time our car is blue! If you remember…our last one was yellow-gold-ish (MAIZE AND BLUE).

We did not do well in Wellington. It is a large city, and much like NYC. It’s busy, loud, fast-paced, and VERY difficult to navigate in. We drove around for about an hour and a half before we just parked the car and started walking. We walked around for a couple of hours and then got in the car and tried to get out of the city. Originally we were going to be staying there for a night but we did not feel like it anymore. After a few unsuccessful attempts at leaving the city, we finally made our way out and towards Rotorua.

After we got out of the city, there were a few old volcanoes and hills, but then the land suddenly flattened out and except for small shrubbery and grass, there was no vegetation. It reminded us of the Western US a bit. All of a sudden, the scenery changed to an incredibly beautiful landscape again with mountains and trees and ferns and lakes…etc.

It gets dark here REALLY early this time of year (5pm) and it was raining at night so driving was making me edgy. We went through about 8 towns looking for a hotel, motel, B&B, etc that didn’t look sketchy or closed. FINALLY we found one in Hunterville. It was a motel/restaurant combo so we were able to kill two birds with one stone (sorry for the cliché, Kathy). Actually, speaking of killing birds…today I hit a bird while driving. It was a small bird that wasn’t quite able to get out of the way quickly enough. I don’t know if it is okay and I was obsessing about it and cried about it for a long time.

The motel we stayed in kind of creeped us out a bit. Our door was a glass door to the outside with one lock which was a button on the door knob. The opposite side of our room was a glass window for the wall, facing the road. We were thankful for the roof over our heads for the night as it was still raining and dark, but we were glad to leave in the morning!

Ashley



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

CollageCollage
Collage

Collage I made on the ferry when I was bored.
CollageCollage
Collage

Collage I made on the ferry when I was bored.


4th May 2009

Nice work on the collage, hun! Did it spark any interesting discussions?? I'm sorry to hear about the birdy :-(. I hit a small animal once too and I cried about it... you just can't help it sometimes!!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb