Virginia Lake and the Winter Gardens


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island
September 25th 2019
Published: September 25th 2019
Edit Blog Post

As you enter Wanganui from the north you will find the beautiful Virginia Lake on your left in the lovely suburb of St John's Hill. There is plenty of parking available and it is well worth stopping here for a break. The lake itself is full of the usual "no one ever feeds us" birdlife so arriving with a loaf of bread (or two) would be a good idea. The abundant birdlife means that no dogs are allowed here.

The lake is a photographer's dream. Whether is it the lake itself or the statues or plants or the overly friendly feathered locals, you will find you don't want to put your camera down. Once you have seen all there is to see, and perhaps walked around the lake, stroll over to the Winter Gardens and the Art Garden. The Winter Gardens are fantastic all year round. They may be small but are beautifully tended. They are at their best at Christmas when they are decorated for the festive season. Next to them is the Art Garden. I have to admit that the art there doesn't appeal to me at all and I wouldn't send anyone there just to see it. A very quick look after visiting the Winter Gardens will probably suffice.

A snack at the Funky Duck Cafe will set you up before you head to the nearby playground and aviary. Don't let the cockatoos fool you - they talk, even if they pretend they can't. Say goodbye as you turn your back on them and they will suddenly decide they need your attention and start up a conversation.

The lake is a great place to spend time with the kids and let them use up some energy. It is a very popular place with the locals, especially in the school holidays. The paths are stoller friendly and there are toilets available. There may even be a couple of geocaches hidden around the lake...... There is certainly a Munzee there.

https://www.visitwhanganui.nz/virginia-lake-whanganui/


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb