Auckland to Whangarei in the rain for Valentines Day!!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Whangarei » Tutukaka
February 21st 2017
Published: February 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Bay of Islands 15th March

Auckland to Whangarei

Day 1

After leaving Auckland on the 14th, Valentine's Day, we had to look for accommodation for the night. We headed towards Waipu, a small township just off Highland 1 in Bream Bay.

This was the settlement of over 800 Highlanders who arrived here under the guidance of the Presbyterian minister Norman McLeod. They arrived here in the 1850s after leaving Scotland following the Clearances, they came the long way round via Nova Scotia and Australia. A highlight of Waipus calendar are the annual Highland games held in the New Year.



We needed accommodation so headed a bit further North to the town of Wharangei, visiting the Isite (Tourist Board info) just on the outskirts of town.

This is when we found there wasn't much accommodation to be had. It is NZ summer but it seems they are having an extended one, the kids are back at school but guess what all the oldies are having their hols.

More New Zealanders are staycationing and therefore places are still busy!!!

Still we were directed to the quaintly named 'Villa Del Rio' a small motel near to town which suited our needs.

A drive into the centre and parking by the Art Museum which very close to the Town Basin.

By this was Claphams Clocks, a collection of over 1400 timepieces which constitutes the National Clock Museum. Outside is a giant sundial.

The Town Basin is a great place for a stroll, at the far end is a covered pedestrian bridge where an artisans market is held.



Time for some sustenance, and a welcome stop at the Quay (in the Basin) for some Calimari and Arancini before getting some provisions to cater for the next few days, see Valentines Day - I know how to treat a girl.



Setting out in the morning (no rain) we headed towards Paihia, with a call first at the Whangarei Falls on the outskirts of town.



The falls are not that impressive, only 26 or so metres high but they fall into an old basalt lava flow.



The walk was nice!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.425s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 83; dbt: 0.1278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb