Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
November 24th 2014
Published: November 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Wellington, the capitol of New Zealand, is a lovely city. We may be biased by the fact that it has been sunny for the 2 days we have spent here, but it definitely has a lot going for it. It is similar to San Fransisco, in that it is built on hills and has some lovely old wooden houses, but better in that there are hardly any homeless people here. It seems clean and litter free, plenty of greenery, views, and beaches.

Our airbnb is in a flat near the centre, and easy to get to by bus from the train station. Since then we have been able to walk everywhere as the city centre is pretty compact.

First day we walked along by the waterfront, then up through Frank Kitts Park and the civic centre to the cable car. The waterfront and park has some interesting sculptures and features. There is just the one cable car in Wellington (similar style to Hastings), and this takes you up to the Botanical Gardens, which are free and have amazing views out over the harbour. We followed a marked route down through these lovely gardens to the tea shop at the rose garden near the bottom. The roses of various different sorts and colours were all in bloom and smelt gorgeous. After tea we went on to another marked walk nearby around the Tinakori village area. This area has lots of lovely old wooden houses, all different, including the prime minister's residence. After this we walked back past the New Zealand parliament , through the town centre and back.

Today we went to the Oriental Beach. This nice beach with yellow sands is right near the city centre. There are several other beaches around Wellington.After this we went up Mount Victoria to look at the views back across the harbour to the city, and then we went to Te Papa museum of New Zealand. The museum is very big, so we only really had time to look at the floor dedicated to New Zealand history, which was interesting and had good interactive exhibits so that it held our attention.

Now we are about to leave the airbnb for the airport. Our hosts kindly said that we have flexible checkout, but it is now evening, so we won't outstay our welcome! The flight to Sydney does not leave until early tommorrow morning. Luckily our hostess in Sydney has flexible check in and expects us early, as we should land at 8.20 am. We will probably arrive there and go straight to sleep.

Ps....Wellington airport overnight exerience proved ok - comfy setees, and Fred won a pack of hobbit gear...dvds, cinema tickets, t shirt etc from a free scratch card when he bought a coffee!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.455s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0866s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb