The wheels on the bus go round and round


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
May 7th 2005
Published: January 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

6 hour bus ride
Delayed because of a flat
2 hours behind.

We were all ready to go with our bags packed in the trailer by 9AM as scheduled. One minor glitch...our bus had a flat and the spare tire along with all the tools were stuck in the boot and our driver James could not gain access to any of it. Solution...wait for the bus from Taupo to arrive around noon and switch buses. So that meant we had a bit of time to kill. We were going to watch one of Elaine's DVD's but the audio wasn't working so instead we got a rated PG movie from reception to watch. We ended up watching "Blue Crush". Not the most entertaining movie of all time but I guess it could have been worse and it did help to pass the time.

We were all packed in and ready to go about noon. With a few quick pit stops we made it into Wellington at about 5PM. Only two hours behind schedule. It was a bit of a blessing in disguise that we changed buses because our replacement bus was a lot larger and we could take on a few additional passengers that would have otherwise had to wait one more day. Good thing the flat was discovered BEFORE we set off because I couldn't imagine having to wait at the side of the road for help to come. Now that would have been a real bummer!

I settled into my room at the YHA, did a bit of grocery shopping and checked out the neighbourhood before heading over to the Base Hostel to meet up with a few fellow bus travellers...that's where the majority of the people picked to stay (well, some had no choice since they prepaid for accommodations.) Nothing too exciting. We checked out a couple of cafes along Courtney Place and celebrated Liz's 23rd Birthday.

The next few days I plan on being a full on tourist. Museums to visit, the Botanical Garden, Parliament and the National Archives, Cable Car, Mt. Victoria Lookout, Oriental Bay and who knows what else! Bring it on baby!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb