Kia Ora New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
December 20th 2008
Published: December 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

111

we snuck down to see this termal pool
Our days are winding down quickly in New Zealand.
We drove the long drive from Wellington to Rotorua. It is kind ofdifficult to pronounce the town names because a lot of them are Maori words and we never heard of the words before. Needless to say we butchered a lot of the town names.
Rotorua is basically known for smelling like rotten eggs. Kidding, they have a lot of thermal pools and they smell like rotten eggs!!!
It is amazing to see so many clouds of smoke rising from the ground and i still do not fully understand how and why they work.
One morning we went to a town that was burried back around 1880's after a volcano erupted.
It was cleverly named the Buried village!
We took a short tour and learned a lot about how MAori people lived, took care of eachother and some of the beliefs that they have.
then we headed over to Agrodome to see a sheep show. In the guide books it says go there for a laugh! So we did, plus I really like sheep since I never get to see them. There were I think 14 different breeds of sheep that got
222

another one up close and personal. the town we were in had tons of them
up on stage and the sheep dogs ran around for a bit, the emcee sheered a sheep for the audience which I thought looked cruel. After the show we got to go up on stage and pet the sheep and take pictures. The most interesting thing that happened here was there were a bunch of tourists from Korea. One girl got called up on stage and she was the Gold medal winner from Bejing in weightlifting. We didnt know if it was true or not, so we googled her and her picture was there...she was a gold medalist. Technically she is the worlds strongest girl right now, she got a few world records at the last games.
While in Rotorua we went to Te Puia to see a few geysers and at night got to see entertainers sing dance and feed us!
The night started with the official thing they do when people enter their house, they have to make sure you are coming in peace. Once we were allowed into their meeting house they sang, danced and even got the girls up on stage to dance and had the guys do a Haka.
They of course performed the Haka
333

see the rainbow and the leprechaun? kidding about the leprechaun
for us too, and after the performace they were drenched in sweat, it sure takes a lot of energy to do the Haka.
Then we drove a bit to a place Mount Maunguanui (you see how we had a hard time pronouncing this?) It was a small town but had a nice walk up a mountain to get 360 deg views of the town and water and was a nice walk.
Not far from there was a Hot water beach. You dug a hole for yourself around low tide times and the water is HOTT. i am not sure of the exact temperature but its HOT! and its like having a hot bath on the beach. It was crowded as you can see in the photos but it was a cool experience!
Then another little walk for the day to a place called Catherdral Cove. There are large limestone rocks here and of course a cove.
After spending time around Rotorua we headed back into Auckland for one more night and then we have our last long haul flight over to LA.
Its hard to believe that time is almost up on our retirement!!
Its also hard to believe its
444

a fern about to roll out, i think thats how it works
almost Christmas!
Talk soon, when we are in LA!
LOVE You


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

55
5

at the Buried Village, a town that was ruined from a volcano. This is one of the homes
66
6

at the bottom of a waterfall at the buried village
77
7

the Agrodome, we went to a sheep show, just for a laugh
88
8

i thought it was gonna lick or bite me
99
9

all of the different breeds on stage
1010
10

sheering the sheep. the sheep looked scared but i guess it happens all of the time and they are used to it
1111
11

the sheepdogs ran on top of all of the sheep
1212
12

how cute?
1313
13

nice horns huh?
1414
14

a bueaitful Maori carving
1515
15

at Te Puia, for a cultual learning day
1616
16

the 2 geysers at Te Puia putting on a show
1717
17

a carving school was also at this place and this is some of with work the school students are working on
1818
18

making sure we are coming to their home in peace
2020
20

you had to remove your shoes to enter their meeting place
2121
21

performing the haka


20th December 2008

So cool!
Dude, this is all the stuff I have taught about!!!! i should have packed my 200 kids in your luggage... awesome!

Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb