Wellington!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
November 20th 2008
Published: November 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

RuapehuRuapehuRuapehu

A 'Lord of the Rings' Hollywood volcano star.
kia ora friends,

after the kiwi farm, i spent an unexpected five nights with asaf in the vacation home of ross and trudy in the thermal area of rotorua. there we met up with jamie and another wwoofer, elle', from france. after a few days soaking in the sulfur perfumed hot springs and all night games of drunkin monopoly, it was time to move on. i caught a bus to taupo, a lakeside town surrounded by massive volcanic mountain ranges, and whilst there, i met a couple of brits who gave me the 320km ride to wellington.

ah wellington...
the windy capital of nz. a city i've had my sites on for quiet some time. now that I'm here, i find myself asking, now what? HaHa! my accommodation is in the only place within city limits that allows camping, the backyard of some dodgy motel. but it is cheap. cheap is good. i've had only a few pieces of food disappear thus far. this i can tolerate. i leave soon for the south island where some of the worlds best walks and tramps can be found. it's getting exciting now.


anyway, i finally spoke face-to-face with the over regulatory gov't agency, the nursing council, since the email/phone/mail correspondences, obliviously, failed me. they tell me i CAN work as a nurse, which is wonderful, BUT i have to take a 6-8 week nz nursing course. it, evidently, is what they are now making most internationals take. the courses are full time m-f and cost more than i care to spend not accounting for room and board or any other expenses. there's the rub. i'm not sure what i'm going to do just yet. i figure a bottle of red ought to help me think and i'll decide in the morning.

(24 hrs later)

"that which must be forced is never worth experiencing" with that being said , i decided not to attend the necessary course and to, again, keep traveling.









Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Verity.Verity.
Verity.

She and Andrew gave me a much needed ride to Wellington.
Elle', Asaf, Jamie.Elle', Asaf, Jamie.
Elle', Asaf, Jamie.

Night of the US elections. So, who won?


21st November 2008

Wow
Ray, you have some balls I must say. Enjoy the sheep, the red, and the kiwi, not necessarily in that order! Cheers!
21st November 2008

so true
"that which must be forced is never worth experiencing" I've been thinking along these lines so often lately and have, like you, decided that many things just can't be insisted upon. When they are destined to happen they will and too much effort on our part can change a plan that already is... thanks for sharing. have a great next adventure. michele
21st November 2008

thanks. i got it from my book of ray-ism.
24th November 2008

Right on Rayzer!
NZ'S loss, but you could sell your photos!! The one of Asaf has great potential! Maybe on dart boards! Ka kite, Lochies' very tired nurse.... 2 hours sleep last night...
27th November 2008

Whadd'up
Hey Ray, Your talking about drunken monopoly reminded me of back in the day at your house. Remember when you Anthony and I played those marathon Monopoly games! They were fun, now that we're legal, we should try the drunken version! Sorry to hear about the nursing thing, but their loss. I look foreward to hearing about your next adventure! Be Safe, Be Happy and Take Care! Lots of Love, Barb

Tot: 0.512s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 97; dbt: 0.3158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb