Planning some tramps...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
January 4th 2006
Published: January 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

KateKateKate

even more glamorous than usual - gone blonde!
Well, before I set off into the wide blue yonder again, I thought I'd better put a few photos on....
Christmas was very nice on Great Barrier Island. Just a few people on the campsite and friendly locals to make it even more special.

Met up with Mum and Dad on Dec 29th in Auckland (tearfully at the airport!) and we spent time out on the coast (black sand beaches etc) and then headed on down to Rotorua, Taupo, Napier and Wellington. The thermal areas and the buried village were really interesting - we did spend nearly an hour waiting for the big geyser to 'go' only to discover that it had been going all along!
I think they got the ferry across to Picton OK this morning....

So I'm off to the car auction tomorrow evening and then I will hit the road on Friday I hope. Lake Waikeromoana is the first tramp I will go for then Tongariro (the circuit rather than just the crossing?). I need to get walking soon!

Thanks for lots of Christmas and New Year wishes.
take care and bye for now
Hx


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

In the Blue Mountains - Grand CanyonIn the Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon
In the Blue Mountains - Grand Canyon

looking like I'm in an episode of Star Trek?
Blue Mountains Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains

Did a couple of good daywalks - spectacular views and a storm. Katoomba v friendly and great vegetarian cafe.
At the Domain - with Maria and friendsAt the Domain - with Maria and friends
At the Domain - with Maria and friends

Christmas carols in the Domain with Maria and several of her friends and family. Finally felt some Christmas spirit!
The Barrier The Barrier
The Barrier

Lovely coastal walk on 23rd December before I was subdued by a throat infection. Still good company and kind hospitality made it a very special time.
Great Barrier Island views Great Barrier Island views
Great Barrier Island views

Didn't see a soul on this walk!
Beach by campsiteBeach by campsite
Beach by campsite

Spent a couple of nights up at Port Fitzroy. Braved at least one cold shower with one of the lovely Lush presents from Sally!
Stocking for Father ChristmasStocking for Father Christmas
Stocking for Father Christmas

hoorah for Nic, Andrew and Lauren (workers for Santa)
And hoorah for Sally and KateAnd hoorah for Sally and Kate
And hoorah for Sally and Kate

plus Christmas tea from Fiona!
Christmas morning continuedChristmas morning continued
Christmas morning continued

not quite sure what Graham was up to here! Many thanks to Graham, Tessa, Katherine and Phil - especially for mince pies, crackers and the use of the chiller for my bubbly...
Port FitzroyPort Fitzroy
Port Fitzroy

Hauled myself up nearby hill to get some views
Gooseberry FlatGooseberry Flat
Gooseberry Flat

A quiet afternoon and evening back in Tryphena. And dinner cooked for me! All very much appreciated.
Mangroves not gooseberriesMangroves not gooseberries
Mangroves not gooseberries

Maybe the people who named this place thought the green fruit of the mangroves looked a bit like gooseberries?
RangitotoRangitoto
Rangitoto

Volcanic island of Rangitoto - also in the Hauraki Gulf. Island was created a few hundred years ago as a volcano erupted.
Mum and DadMum and Dad
Mum and Dad

at the buried village outside Rotorua (Te Aroha I think)
Mum taking shotsMum taking shots
Mum taking shots

Mum started her trip with two cameras - neither of which was working! Fortunately we sorted that out pretty quickly so she is now snapping away...


Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb