High 'n Dry with the kiwis


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
October 28th 2008
Published: October 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It's a long way to the top .. It's a long way to the top .. It's a long way to the top ..

.. to be a rock 'n roll star. Had a small concert on the peak, not a massive audience I've to confess. Maybe next year with drippingham, who knows ...
Kia Ora dear people (meaning Hello in traditional Maori) ... After gunning through the north island of NZ we learned that the ancestors of the Māori were a Polynesian people originating from south-east Asia. Some historians trace the early Polynesian settlers of New Zealand as migrating from today's China, making the long voyage traveling via Taiwan, through the South Pacific and on to Aotearoa (New Zealand). The name "Maori" originally meant "the local people", or "the original people". First european settlers from Australia and Great Britain arrived around 1790, These first settlers normally established peaceful relations with Maori communities - they had to, if they wanted to maintain lucrative trading relations. As of today, the "white people" plus a vast amount of asian migrants are living amongst Maori and accepting Maori lore and conventions, communal living and coexistance works way better than in neighboring Australia, where Aboriginies and european/asian Aussies live in parallel with a huge gap between each other.
In short, New Zealand is a awesome place without the shadow of a doubt, everything's here, anything's possible, sometimes it appears like a large playground for all kind of extreme outdoor activities. We learned very quickly that we're not the first
Big old fellowBig old fellowBig old fellow

Kauri Trees are among the world's mightiest trees, growing to more than 50 metres tall, with trunk girths of up to 16 metres. They covered much of the top half of the North Island when the first people arrived around 1000 years ago. Life-span up to 2000 years !!!
colonizing the country, tourism machine is running full steam. A little downer for us which must not apply for other travallers is the fact that everything's soooo easy, frankly, we're missing the challenge a bit. Which doesn't mean that we dunnot enjoy ... we travelled from Auckland up north via Bay of Islands to ninety miles beach, then down south to Taupo, Rotorua, sitting now in charmy Wellington waiting for the ferry to kick us to the south island tonight. Have fun with the pix, have a fanciful day, enjoy the time especially the magic moments ... and so do we.
Haere ra, Irina 'n Tony.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

North Island sceneryNorth Island scenery
North Island scenery

I can't help myself but, doesn't this look very much like the landscape of a model railway ... ?
Mountain Bike MeccaMountain Bike Mecca
Mountain Bike Mecca

I was a little amused when I was speeding thru the mud tracks and trails when a guy coming the reverse way shouted at me "wrong way" ... I wish my buddies Georg & Guido were with me at that very moment.
Early birdsEarly birds
Early birds

For the famous Tongariro trek, we got up at 6:00, here's one of the visible rewards.
Don't eat the yellow snowDon't eat the yellow snow
Don't eat the yellow snow

And all of a sudden, it was winter. After Nepal, Mt Fuji, Mt Bromo this was certainly a must. Beware, these volcanic fellows (Mt Tongariro, Mt. Ngauruhoe and Mt. Mt Ruapehu) can still get very angry occasionally, last spectacular eruption took place in 1995.
Two ducks and one chickenTwo ducks and one chicken
Two ducks and one chicken

are enjoying late lunch by the river. What can I say, I reckon you understand what's on my mind.


30th October 2008

Shhhhhhhhh... Silence please the Kiwis are nocturnal birds
So nice to see an update.. and gladder to see the awesome pictures...so you people are are going Full steam ...up and down the Kiwiland...you MUST visit Rotorua (the adrenaline HQ) and see if you can go some black water rafting...its like nothing you have done so far....Do let me know your bungy/base jumping experience and take care.. you LIVE only ONCE !!and just in case you are wondering where the Kiwis are ...they are nocturnal birds... you may have to stay up all night..take care, Mahe

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb