Wellington to Nelson..


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
November 29th 2005
Published: December 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

After the excitement of the Skydive and Tongariro Crossing, we slowed down for abit on what was essentially a travel day to Wellington. The journey was broken up by a stop at the home of the World Wellyboot Throwing championships. The 'wellies'were a pair of size 10s that we picked up from the town hall, and had great fun hurling up the special "Arena". Lin was up there in the girls event, and I sneaked the mens with a narrow victory!
Arrived at the Base Backpackers in Wellington. This was a brand new purpose built hostel with electronic lockers, basement bar and everything else you could expect from a hostel.

We met up with Lin's parents for a meal at the Malthouse Restaurant, and experienced the New Zealand 'tasting tray'.. beware!
As this was our last day with the original Stray group, a few 'goodbye'drinkies were had long into the night.

Walked around the Te Papa Museum in Wellington, a modern museum (costing $317million to build) with a special section on Earthquakes where you could experience a simulated quake. We also went up the hill to Kelburn by the funicular/cable car to the Cablecar museum and observatory at the
Welly Boot ChampsWelly Boot ChampsWelly Boot Champs

The Stray gang..
top.

Leaving North Island and our Stray mates, we took the InterIslander ferry across the Cook Strait and through Queen Charlotte Sound to Picton at the top of South Island. Stayed in a quaint little hostel called The Villa. One of our room mates was a fast talking ex-punk who was working her way around NZ. She also happened to cut hair, and Lin was her next victim!. After seeing the result, i decided to wait for mine!

Our next driver was Gail who was great fun, just a shame we were with her for only a short time. We stopped at Hunters Vineyard in the Marlborough wine region, where we had at least 10 tastings. Not as good as the Chilean wines, but after 10 glasses, who cares!

Gail dropped us off in Nelson, a popular NZ destination with more sunshine than any other part of NZ.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

WellingtonWellington
Wellington

Kelburn Tram
PictonPicton
Picton

The Villa..


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0974s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb