Watching the 'All Blacks' in Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
June 10th 2008
Published: June 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We flew in on saturday 7th June to Wellington. It was quite a scary flight especially when we were landing and the plane kept shifting left and right due to the wind. The pilot added to the tension when he said on the tanoid check your nearest emergency exit! Anyway all was well and we soon checked in to our hostel very early and fell asleep because we were shattered.

In the afternoon we decided to visit the museum where we lucky enough to catch a music artist playing an acoustic live set...for free. He was amazing and enlightened our mood as we were all feeling quite down as we missed Queenstown and the friends we made there. We then saw some interesting exhibitions on wingless parrots and partcipitated in an earthquake.

In the evening we were all very excited about the big game! We had bought tickets to see the famous 'All Blacks'(New Zealand rugby team) play against Ireland. We decided we would get our faces painted; me, Rick and Caz all were painted with the all black colours whilst Muc and Nick were painted with the Irish green. We met lots of girls from Chile on school exchange and got some great pictures.

The stadium was very impressive and it made me laugh when the lady on the tanoid said " There will be no access to the stadium if you are smashed, off your face on drugs" straight to the point. The game was impressive with firworks and flames being pumped out as the players ran onto the pitch. Its not everyday you can say you saw the best rugby team in the world perform their legendary dance- the famous Haka. The All Blacks won but the Irish put up a great fight. We got soaked and felt like we had hypothermia but it was well worth it!

The next day we headed to Lake Taupo and we were lucky enough to have the same driver as we had had for the whole South Island. We also met up with some of our friends from Queenstown. Lake Taupo was awsome but my highlight was jumping into the thermal springs as the sunset. It was a natural hot tub although it smelt of sulphur (rotting egg).


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



12th June 2008

home news
wow---u r having a gr8 time, new zealand looks awesome. I was watching Billy Connolly the other day and he was in a helicopter travelling in NZ the sights were breathtaking. Did u c Helms Keep and Middle earth? i think Abi was playing rugby against the all blacks on Sunday as the team she was playing against were huge. she ended up being knocked out with concussion and spent overnight in hospital. She is fine now, just a cauliflower ear! jamie has just returned from his PGL holiday with the school and had a great time, trapezing and zip wiring, sounds really boring compared to what u r doing. Emily finishes her gcse today, last one---hurray! sooo missing u both, c u soon, lv Alison XX

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb