Crossing over


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington
March 15th 2007
Published: March 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The fire show in PictonThe fire show in PictonThe fire show in Picton

Nikky is just fantastic!
The whole transfer process was very symbolic. The day before we arrived to Picton- quiet little town, sitting right on the Marlborough sounds, with the sole feature of being close to the north island. We arrived quite early and checked in to the wonderful backpacker hostel Juggler's rest. Really, everything you can hope for in a backpacker - relaxed atmosphere, fresh bread and home made jams, cheap and easy internet access, and most of all, Nikky, the charming hostess. And the bonus - an amazing fire juggling show she put for the guests. The most relaxed and enjoyable time I had since I got here.
The next day, the crossing started with some bad weather, like the south island trying to get me wet for the last time. First sign of change - the ferry. This was quite a ship with enough room for 600 cars in its lower decks, a restaurant, a caf? and a bar, sun deck, children play area and a cinema. The weather changed on the way, the sun came out and when we entered Wellington harbour, a low and perfect rainbow greeted us.
Wellington itself felt like back to civilization. The capital of New Zealand is quite a city, with high-raising buildings, business men on the streets, long shopping streets, large parks, lots of buses and Starbucks. The works.
Finally a city that doesn't feel like it's ending when you walk five minutes from the center. Finally a city you can consider taking a bus to somewhere interesting in its bounds. Finally a city you can feel the rush hour. Finally a city with a decent train station.
So different from anything in the south island, especially Picton, which also mean the hostel here is completely different, huge and impersonal. Well, that's part of the deal, I guess.
And so begins part two.
I'm off to Napier.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Some wordsSome words
Some words

It was in the water near the National Museum. Don't have a clue.


16th March 2007

baxter: Maori Jesus
from wiki concerning the Maori Jesus James Keir Baxter (June 29, 1926—October 22, 1972) was a New Zealand poet, and a controversial figure in New Zealand society. dad

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 15; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0805s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb