Wellington


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington Region » Wellington
January 29th 2013
Published: January 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Wellington - 8am 21/1/13Wellington - 8am 21/1/13Wellington - 8am 21/1/13

Our first morning in Welli after arriving on the overnight ferry
We arrived in Wellington in the early hours of Mon 21st Jan after an uneventful and quite boring ferry crossing. We were disappointed that the clouds had prevented us from seeing the star formations but we were now on the North Island and ready for part two of our NZ adventure.

The only other slight 'issue' that night was that we had no accomadation! And at 2am we were unlikely to find anything! But, I had planned for this scenario and we had purchased two sleeping bags, and we still had our two pillows so we slept in the car outside the ferry terminal. Madam was not impressed and we wouldn't be doing that again!

After a dreadful sleep we left the car and wandered around Wellington for a few hours and got a coffee in an attempt to appease Madam who was major grumpy.

The city seemed quiet even though it was 9am.

We were too tired to take a proper look at this lovely place so we headed on to our next place - a camping site a few miles away where we had booked another cabin for the next two nights.

The weather
WellingtonWellingtonWellington

Not happy about having slept in the car!
was beautiful and we found out that it was a bank holiday in Wellington that day so the place was packed full of locals. Our cabin was very comfortable and the site had a pool, BBQ, lovely grounds etc.

This time it was only $60 per night so we were pleased with the price and the standard of accomodation.

At some point that day the internet on our computer stopped working so I spent hours trying to fix the problem.... Re-booting, removing programs and re-installing didn't work and it was starting to p**s me off some what.

It still didn't work the next morning.... and neither did the car!!

The fob wouldn't open the doors and even when I manually opened the door it wouldn't start the car. I was convinced that it was the key fob and we called out the AA who quickly identified that it was the car battery and that it was flat because the vanity light above the front passenger seat had been left on all night after someone had done her make up before she got out of the car the previous day. Not impressed.

The AA man was very nice but he had no choice but to charge us for the call out because it was something so stoopid!

Even better though, I eventually resolved the problem with the internet... by putting credit on the dongle! I had spent hours trying to fix it and just needed topping up!A pair of idiots abroad!

And it got worse, the next day we went to the car and again it wouldn't start... only this time it was apparant that 'someone' had left a rear door open all night and the internal light had run down the battery again.

Fortunately with the help of Brent and Dave who were also staying on the site we managed to get it going with jump leads, an antique battery charger and a tatty old van.

We went into Wellington for the day for a proper look around and although it was windy (apparantly it is always windy in Welli) we had a nice day. We had just missed the premier of another Lord Of The Rings film but saw the cinema and the red carpets and adverts for it.

The weather was so fine and we enjoyed the place so much that we decided to stay for a third night and stocked up on provisions for another day by the pool (wine & beer!)

On Thu 24th we left our little cabin after making some lovely friends with the Kiwi's at the site (Dave, June, Brent, Lyndsey) and headed off towards New Plymouth where we were going to meet Annie's friend Catherine. It was going to be another long drive and for the first time ever we had not pre-booked any accomodation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Wellington camp siteWellington camp site
Wellington camp site

I don't know what you were all moaning about in the UK... we love ice over here!
Car Battery Drained Pt2.Car Battery Drained Pt2.
Car Battery Drained Pt2.

Twice in two days we left doors open and the battery went flat
Battery flat again!Battery flat again!
Battery flat again!

Friendly Kiwi locals helped us get it going again.
Our Little HomeOur Little Home
Our Little Home

Home for 3 nights near Welli
All mod consAll mod cons
All mod cons

And only $60 per night
Day out in the cityDay out in the city
Day out in the city

Sight seeing in Welli.
Wellington Wellington
Wellington

View across Welli from Mt Victoria.
Annie and a hobbit!Annie and a hobbit!
Annie and a hobbit!

(Annie is wearing orange!)


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb