Feb. 29


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington Region » Paraparaumu
February 29th 2008
Published: February 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


New Zealand thoughts & observations
1. Language - it takes awhile to pick up on the pronunciation and terms. Some examples:
W sounds like da
Kiwis tend to raise their voice as they finish talking, often I am trying to figure out what the question is and they are simply saying I’m done talking, your turn.
2. Terms - Kiwis have a lot of terms that are different than US English and for the most part very descriptive.
An example is an auto body shop is where the panel beaters work. The shop is called a panel beaters shop. Kiwis always use the term scheme for plan. They have saving schemes, retirement schemes and business schemes.
A section is basically what we call a building lot. There are enough of these that are just sort of fun to figure out.
3. There are very few bugs, flies etc. Everyone leaves their doors and windows open and with the beautiful weather, why not.
4. Motels all have cooking facilities (Stove, Frig. Microwave etc.). A facility without cooking is referred to as a Hotel. A lot of the motels have a separate bedroom with 2-5 beds.
5. Things are a little more expensive than the US even when you factor in the exchange rate. The present exchange rate is 80 US cents buys 1 NZ dollar. I suspect things are about 20% higher than the US after you factor in the exchange.
6. Gas is about $7.00 per gallon and is sold in liters. Presently it is 1.74 NZ dollars per liter.
7. New Zealand has not been Wal-marted. The CBD (Central Business District) is where all the shopping is done with the exception of neighborhood Dairy Stores. It really feels like 1950.
8. It takes a while to get the hang of driving on the left. What is more embarrassing is getting into the car on the wrong side. I usually pretend to be opening the door for Juanita. A lot of the intersections have go arounds.
9. The term lovely is used for everything good. It’s a lovely day, the meal was lovely etc.
10. The veggies and fruit are great. They are so tasty. We try to have tomatoes with every meal. I think I will try organic veggies and fruit at home and see if it is similar.
11. New Zealand has a real shortage of trained labor.
Apple Trees-Hawks BayApple Trees-Hawks BayApple Trees-Hawks Bay

The apple trees are just loaded with fruit.
Consequently they have benefited from migration of trained people out of South Africa to New Zealand. Burkes, our friends from Hawera both go to South African doctors.

I have decided that Kiwis are like their cats, colorful and independent.

We are driving down to the Kapiti Coast (North of Wellington) today. We will then be visiting Ron Head in Waikanae. Then on Tuesday 3/4 we are heading to the South Island with Ron.

I have attached a few more pictures from Napier.

Stay warm.

Jim & Juanita



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



1st March 2008

WOW
It looks like you died and went to heaven. I love your descriptions and the pics are just beautiful. This is even better than being there - I can see all of these beautiful sites without leaving my recliner. Love from the Manternach's
4th March 2008

Jim, Tim and I are so enjoying following your blog. The pictures are such a treat! What a great adventure for you. Guess you must have been listening when they said "Don't let your life happen to you, make your life happen! Way to go! Love, Mary Anne
6th March 2008

loverly
It looks like you to are having a lovely trip.An aussie friend tells me they add an R to lovely but use it the same way.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb