Upokongaro Cycle Bridge, apes and skulls plus the Aramoho Cemetery


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wanganui
March 23rd 2021
Published: March 24th 2021
Edit Blog Post

The Cycle Bridge: As someone who hasn't ridden a bicycle for several decades, it feels strange to blog about a cycle bridge. But this is far more than just a bridge for cyclists to use.

https://www.whanganui.govt.nz/Your-Council/Projects-and-Initiatives/Works-Projects/Upokongaro-Cycle-Bridge

The bridge is part of the Mountains to the Sea cycleway. It has already proven very popular with locals but there are also plenty of keen out-of-town cyclists, many of whom stay just up the road at the Holiday Park. https://www.mountainstosea.nz/shop/product/485045/whanganui-top-10-holiday-park/

I love the bridge. It is just a short drive from my home and I like to park by the river, usually opposite the Aramoho Cemetery, and walk my 4-legged assistant to the bridge. It can be difficult to find a park close to the bridge and you have to try and park on the verge which can make it a bit difficult for cars to get past and the road can be quite busy.

We always meet other humans and their 4-legged friends. Then there are the walkers. Some of these do the loop, walking along both sides of the river. I have no intention of ever attempting this but I can understand why they do it. So regardless of how fit or keen you are, you will be able to enjoy the bridge and the scenery. Just remember that in the summer the heat melts the tar on the road so avoid walking your dogs on it. I was laughed at, rudely, last time as I was carrying Bruno across the road. A couple felt the need to comment on this. They felt a bit silly once I pointed out why.

Now for something different - something to show the kids on the way to the bridge. If you are on the Aramoho side of the river, there is a road on your left (obviously, as the river is on your right) called Flemington Road, just past the Aramoho Cemetery. Turn into it and on your right you will discover an interesting entrance to a private property. I suspect they are quite used to hearing vehicles stop outside. You will either love the figures or hate them. Either way, they are worth a look. The kids will probably want their photo taken with them. I have one grandkid who loves them and one who won't go anywhere near them. Of course the five year old wanted to know if the skulls were real!

Munzees: There are many Munzees waiting to be captured along Somme Parade and in the Aramoho Cemetery. It may seem like an unusual place to find Munzees but it was a good way of allowing people to play the game safely despite Covid-19. The Munzees are mostly on the back or bottom of signs so that they can be captured without having to walk across any graves and you won't disturb any visitors.

The Aramoho Cemetery: If you are planning on visiting the Aramoho Cemetery for family history research, thousands of the headstones, including all of the older ones, the babies' area and the RSA plots have been photographed and added to the BillionGraves website. This is ongoing and more will be added when I have time to take them. You can use this website to look for information https://wdc.whanganui.govt.nz/cemeteries/search.aspx but I suggest you also use the BillionGraves app on your phone as every grave that has been transcribed can be more easily found using the GPS location that is automatically added to the photos as I take them. Or you can do your research from home before your trip. https://billiongraves.com/

Toilets: There are public toilets at the cemetery. Drive past the main entrance and turn into the next one. You will see a small building on your left. They are always clean but don't show on any 'Find a Toilet' apps. Don't be fooled into thinking they aren't open. You have to walk down the side of them to the doors.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0817s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb