Kia Ora to adventure sports


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo
May 4th 2008
Published: May 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Good morning all

I think this is going to be a really long blog because not only has it been a while since I last updated but I have also done a lot in that time.

So the morning after I last updated we headed on the Kiwi Experience to Rotorua. On the way we stopped for a walk in the rain. It was along a canyon over a dodgy bridge and back which was actually a lot of fun and had impressive scenary. Rotorua is a strange town as because there is a lot of geothermal activity nearby there is a smell of sulphur all over the town. Apparently it is the most visited town in New Zealand (99% of tourists go there). When we got there we headed straight for the luge which was just outside of town and is basiclly going down a track on a kindof sledge with wheels which you can steer. 7 of us went to do it and at the top of the track it says not to race. So once we were out of sight of the workers we all raced down pretty hard. We had 5 goes down and by the end we had turned it into bumper luge. John came of at one point and got mud all down him. Numerous people went off the track and it was just such a laugh as everyone had the same attitude. Unfortunitly with all our fun we were late back and our driver wasn't particularly happy with us.

A couple of hours later we headed to a Maori Village again just outside of Rotorua. It was a tourist village but really good fun. When we were on the bus there the driver told us what tribe we were in (kea) and we had to elect a leader. Then when we got there our leader had to make a peace offering before we were allowed into the village. Inside they took us round for a bit showed us all the houses and where they would cook (in the ground). Then we went and matched some dances which included the Hukka and it was just fun to watch. Then it was the best part, a buffet dinner. I ate lots, I think I managed 2 main course and 3 deserts which even for me was quite impressive. We then got to watch the hukka once more and then we headed back.

Once back we went to the bar with most people on the bus and it was such a fun night. There was me, Katherine and Ben at a table and some other people sat down with us. Ben got into an argument with 2 people who said they were from New Zealand but turned out to be Norwegen and American about how good British food was then someone else decided to proove to us he was Swiss. It was all quite random but just really fun.

The next day was quite a boring day. We were meant to be going Rafting but the water was too high in the river for it to be safe which we weren't told till 12. So in the afternoon me and Katherine walked round town for a bit (quite a few shops) then headed back and met up with Rob (a dutch guy). and had a few drinks, then went to the bar and met Irwin who was a random New Zealander and we tried and failed to teach Irwin drinking games. Then went back to Robs room (where he was the only 1 staying in) and carried on there till all we went to sleep.

Now to make up for our boring day we had an action day planned. Firstly we headed out of town (again) to a geothermal park. First we stopped at a mud pool where the mud was that hot it was actually boiling, then we went to watch a Geyser which erupted (with water) whilst we were there, the water went about 12 metres into the air. Then we headed to Waiatapo park which had different lakes which have natural chemicals in so are all different colours and some are so hot they are boiling and there was steam everywhere, teh whole place just looked really good. We got back about 1 then at 2 we (me Kathrine and Rob) went White Water Rafting. The guy who picked us up was absolutley crazy. Joking about a lot then when we got to there centre we met the others who were even crazier. For example when we first got there they were chucking sauce over each other as was someones last day. When we got out on the river the rapids were quite big and quite intense (more so as the water was still quite high) and we had the worlds largest comercially rafted waterfall to go down (7 metres though it might have only been 6 1/2m because of the water level) which was really good fun. Apparently no one had flipped it that day but lots of people have before and all the guides were somewhat disapointed no one had, but were paranoid about it happening and all the safety equipment ready.

Then that night we went out for a few drinks and met some people who were going to be on my bus the next day, and had another good night.

Katherine and Rob couldn't make it on my bus (I'll meet up with them again in Taupo) as it was full. As it was a few days later I have a new driver (Buzz) who seems a lot better then my last one. Everyone on the bus seems good as well. On the way to Waitomo we walked through a forest not really knowing where we were going but taking random photos along the way (including a picture of everyone taking a picture of everyone). Then it was back on the bus and straight to Waitomo.

Waitomo is just a little village but it has some gloworm caves to go inside. But obviously being New Zealand you don't just go into a cave they have invented Black Water Rafting. I went to do this Black Water Rafting last night which had a distinct lack of a Raft but was amazing all the same. There was 8 in our group (7 guys, 1 girl and 2 male instructors, i think you can imagine the jokes). We started with our safety briefing and being taught how to abseil. (Whilst outside in the rain, but we had wetsuits on, must have looked a sight). We then did our abseil which went through what I though then was the smallest hole I could fit through and down 35 metres into the cave, then it was straight of to do a flying fox (zip line) for which as soon as they released you they turned all the lights off so we did it in the dark. Also when some people went the instructor at the bottom hit a tube against the rock to make a really loud bang and scare all the people at the top, then would shout something like "tighten the rope". Once we had done that we jumped into some rubber tubes and floated through the glow worm caves, with just the glow worms for light, played some games then went caving. We were up to our necks in water at some points and just enough room for our heads. We then went through what I now think is the smallest hole I can fit through, where you have to lie and turn at the right points to actually fit through, we did the hokey cokey then climbed up two waterfalls which was actually my favouriate bit and then we were outside again, we were underground for 2 1/2 hours and got back at 9, then went and cooked then met up with about 1/2 the bus and played the best drinking game (suits) that I have learnt so far. One of the instructors came for a while. Then I went to sleep and woke back up and wrote my blog.

Bye

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb