Off to Waitomo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waitomo
January 18th 2008
Published: February 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

On Tuesday we headed to Waitomo from Roturua after an awesome couple of days! Waitomo is a town of 30 people (according to our driver guide!)... it basically has a hostel and a bar. It is also the home of the Waitomo Caves where you can go see glow worms and go blackwater rafting. I felt that I had spent my adventure budget for a couple days, so I decided to just hang out at the hostel for the evening and early morning before we left. It was only an overnight stop, so I didn't feel like I missed too much. It was a great day on the road though... We started with a short trip to Te Puia where some people got off and learned more about the Maori people, while the rest of us did a walk in the manmade Redwood forest (where Pine trees grow REALLY quickly -- full size in 60 years!). All this was right outside Roturua. After this we went back to Te Puia where the guys learned how to do a Haka (the cheer that the New Zealand rugby team does before a game, or something... its cool) and the girls learned how to use these balls on a string. There is a name for it, I just can't remember what it is. It was pretty cool though, i got videos of both!!

Later that day, right before getting to our hostel, we stopped at The Shearing Shed where they sheer Angora rabbits. We watched a rabbit get sheared, I couldn't believe how much fur is actually on one of those things! The rest of the evening we spent making dinner with our Swedish friends (Adam and Joel) and then playing a bit of pool next door at the bar where the rest of the bus was spending the evening. We went to bed early since Holly was getting up early to go black water rafting! While Holly was rafting on Wednesday morning, the rest of the bus went on a cool walk through some woods and got to climb up in some sweet caves. It was really neat. Once we picked Holly up from the rafting place, it was a straight through to Taupo... What a crazy place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Peter rabbit set free!!Peter rabbit set free!!
Peter rabbit set free!!

Only the females are actually sheared!


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb