RTW Day 27 - Carterton


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wairarapa
March 14th 2018
Published: March 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We have a 5 hour drive ahead of us today so I start with a lovely scenic run round Lake Taupo. It’s a pleasant way to start the day and sets me up for the huge cooked breakfast our host has prepared.

We set off, breaking our journey at the coastal town of Napier. The area was decimated by an earthquake in 1931, hence a large rebuilding programme in the 1930s. So it’s an Art Deco extravaganza with many of the public buildings, hotels and shops built in that style.

We purchase a self guide tour map for $10. The old man mutters about the cost. A lot. Then we spend an hour wandering round the city centre taking pictures of the Art Deco buildings. We return through the pristine seafront gardens, have a picnic lunch and set off for tonight’s destination – Carterton where the old man will be reunited with his best friend from school.

We reach our destination which is a small holding in the back of beyond 60 miles north of Wellington. There are some sheep and lots of alpacas. We spend a pleasant evening eating, drinking and catching up.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb