Waikato Region - the Glow worm caves


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Waikato » Waitomo Caves
January 17th 2008
Published: May 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lake Taupo- Waikato

The journey back up to the north west where we helped at the farm for the week.


DATE VISITED: 6-13TH ISH JANUARY

We tried to beat the tourists but failed - we ended up having to tag along with a group of gassy spanish tourists who just did NOT shut up when they were asked to by our guide.

The tour was short and these famous caves I would say were 'ok' but really we came to see the glow worms. We ended up in a boat which took us peacefully through the blackness of the cave, only to look up and see a star-lit sky of beautifully glowing blue dots which were the worms! The tour was worth it just to see this unique spectacle - only found in New Zealand and Australia.

The boats sedatly made their way to the outside after being guided by the light of the glow worms for the 5 or so minutes we were inside. Everyone had to be quiet which made the experience even more special and peaceful too.

These caves are a must-see - but the various tour groups did try and tempt us with other dubious activities such as 'black water rafting' where you float in a rubber ring guided only by ropes you pull yourself along, or jumping backwards off waterfall deep in the cave, or abseilling into an abyss. No thanks. These were all really pricey tours but the glow worms were only about 17 quid.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb