Old Geezer visits old Geysers!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
April 2nd 2013
Published: April 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our stay for 2 nights in Taupo overlooking Lake Taupo was very relaxing. This was an excellent location to explore the surrounding area and the interesting geothermal activity. The Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland was an excellent choice and was great to walk around. First we visited the Lady Knox Geyser and witnessed an eruption of water and steam to about 20m height. Then we saw many different examples of the geothermal activity with steam hissing out of rock fissures, caverns eroded by acids and multi coloured pools and lakes. A really interesting and enjoyable experience.

Later we walked around “The Craters on the Moon”. We saw many steaming craters and boiling mud pits in a bush landscape.

Our time in Taupo was ended with a visit to the impressive Huka Falls where the Waikato River passes through a narrow gorge at high velocity and volume before an 11m fall.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



2nd April 2013

Great photos!
Once again, some great photos of a beautiful part of the world. Thanks. M xx
17th April 2013

Taupo and Other Journeys
Hi Keith and Val Enjoyed following your tour and the photos of the amazing places that you have visited. Envious? Yes we are! Where to next? There is a rumour that the sun was spotted in North Cowton last week - the locals were not sure because they haven't seen it for so long.
17th April 2013

Taupo and Other Journeys
Hi Keith and Val Enjoyed following your tour and the photos of the amazing places that you have visited. Envious? Yes we are! Where to next? There is a rumour that the sun was spotted in North Cowton last week - the locals were not sure because they haven't seen it for so long.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb