Taupo and the great lakes


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
December 18th 2010
Published: August 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This wasn't a particularly highly anticipated part of our trip but it was a welcomed stop when we got here. There was loads to do in Taupo, apparently the adventure capital of the north island, who knew!? Lake Taupo itself is huge and pretty mesmerizing to look at (although I was so busy looking I seemed to have neglected to take any pictures of it!). Think Loch Ness then times it by 10.
The near by Huka Falls were magnificent, a narrowing of the river from 100 to 15 metres causes a huge volume of water to collide and cascade into this powerful display of waterfalls and rapids. If you can go on the Huka Jet which gets up close to the falls then do it but move fast as it was sold out the day we visited. You can still very close using the viewing platform above the main part of the falls though.
You could do a great skydive or bungee here, unless of course you are holding out for Queenstown!
The second time we visited Taupo was with Gill and we rented a cabin at the Taupo Debretts Spa Resort which was a great bargain for the price as we had tickets to the on site hot springs included with our stay which is clearly the best way to end a day of exploring!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb