Acacia bay


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Taupo
August 6th 2007
Published: August 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Acacia Bay marks the start of my A-Z tour of New Zealand.
The rules are simple:
Visit places that begin with each letter of the alphabet, in turn.
Places / letters can only be claimed in alphabetical order, I can't claim places that I have already visited and I have to do something there, not just drive through. Oh, and a photo is mandatory, of course!
So, what did I do in Acacia Bay? Well, had a wander to the beach, narrowly avoided getting attacked by some crazy ducks and had a wander around the dairy (corner shop). Tried to have lunch there, but the restaurant (which looked lovely) was closed, so no go.
And why was I in Acacia Bay? Well, Kat & I left Wellington at 04:15 to go skiing, only to find, after 4.5 hours drive, that the mountain was shut due to gale force winds. Bugger! The sun was shining and the sky was blue, so it looked like a great day for it, but alas no. The baby slopes were opened at 11 and they were reviewing the upper slopes at 12, so we decided rather than hang around, we'd head off & do something rather than waste the day. Hence the A-Z tour begins. We had a very nice lunch in Taupo (the Waterside restaurant, if ever you are passing) and then drove 5 hours back to wellington. All in all, a big day out!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Acacia BayAcacia Bay
Acacia Bay

Some crazy ducks
A nice viewA nice view
A nice view

Somewhere between Whakapapa & Taupo
WhakapapaWhakapapa
Whakapapa

It looked like a glorious day, but bloody hell it was windy!


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb