Taking the Least Direct Route South


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
September 10th 2011
Published: September 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I have neglected the blog this past week- I apologize. So here's the summary:

Monday- we FINALLY left Auckland and took a bus east and then a bus north to arrive in the small town of Whitianga (Maori lesson: Wh="F" sound). From there we made our way to the even smaller town of Matarangi, where we stayed with a natural medicine student named Scott, who fed us a very generous, healthy dinner upon arrival.
Tuesday- we headed back into town to catch a ferry across the inlet and walked along the white cliffs for a few hours. We also made a stop at the Hot Water Beach, but to our dissappointment it was high tide. To make up for this, we visited the Lost Spring thermal spa- a bit of a splurge but so deserved after all the walking. We returned to Scott's house to cook him dinner and stayed one more night.
Wednesday- we took the bus onward to Tauranga where we stayed with some local berry pickers. Sam and Tyler were a hilarious pair, constantly cracking jokes about America (and expressing their love for Canada).
Thursday- rest day. I passed my cold on to Taylor so we did
Sunset in the CoromandelSunset in the CoromandelSunset in the Coromandel

On the way to Matarangi
laundry, watched movies, and gave ourselves a break.
Friday- off to Rotorua! A quick 45 minute ride and we arrived at our next house. Steven and his roommates showed us a true kiwi house party as we watched the opening game of the Rugby World Cup: New Zealand vs. Tonga. Tay found a new love for sports and we learned some of the terms and rules of the game. We still need some work before we go to our own game in 2 weeks!
Saturday- we set out with one mission today- ZORB. We took the bus to the little hilly spot out of town and each took two turns being thrown around the giant water-filled hamster ball. AWESOME. Tonight we will watch some more rugby, rest up, and get ready to move on to the South Island!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Rope swingRope swing
Rope swing

Obscure beach across the bay in Whitianga
ZorbZorb
Zorb

We are inside that ball!


10th September 2011

Terrific!
Wow! So glad to hear you two are alive and active! Zorb sounds fantastic! We love and miss you tons and tons! But keep on traveling. And stay safe. love to you both, mommy
10th September 2011

Hamster Ball
I understand Taylor got roughed up in the ball. Explain what happened to her. Is she ok now?
11th September 2011

IT TOOK HER ARM OFF! JK we sthink she pulled something- you know Tay, the booboo queen. I'm taking care of her, will seek further medical advice if needed :)
16th September 2011

Birthdays
I'll still be here on my 81st... Where will you be on your 22nd? I love reading your blog. Love, Ganny

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb