Rotorua- spas and rotten eggs and Taupo- a brief visit


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
October 18th 2010
Published: October 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The drive to Rotorua from Waitomo was about 2 hours and passed through lots of green countryside (and many many sheep) as we were cutting across the country. We arrived in Rotorua around 5pm and straight away could smell something which can only be described as rotten eggs (and the windows were closed). We had heard this town smelt so bad because of the nearby geysers and the sulphur that came from them but we thought it couldn’t be as bad as everyone made out- it was worse than we could have imagined. On stepping out of the car in the small town centre Vic was trying not to breathe it in while Scott was actually heaving from it- it was the worst smell we have ever smelt and there was no getting away from it outside. Back in the safety of our van we drove towards a Polynesian Spa we had read about which sounded like just what we needed- a bit of warmth after our morning in the dark cold caves- but not before stopping off at a small Thai cafe/restaurant for a bit of dinner first. The food was so good and proper Thai (red Thai curry and rice mmmm), we both cleared our plates before heading back to the spa.
When we got there we chose the option which included several different outdoor pools all at varying hot temperatures, some with special minerals in, and although it was freezing outside once you were in these pools you didn’t know- they were so hot it was lovely, especially as they were overlooking lake Rotorua which was lit up at night. By this time we had sort of got used to the bad smell but every now and then you would get a whiff of it- one of the pools actually smelt like it was in the water so we didn’t stay in that one too long! It was a really relaxing night and we both came out feeling fresh, after spending over 2 hours in there. As we had showered after the pools and already eaten we decided to try and find a spot where we could free park as we didn’t need any facilities that night, and so parked in a nearby hotel car park for the night which was actually fine and really quiet- second night of free parking, check!

We woke up early the next morning and set off towards a famous natural geyser about 25 minutes away that we had heard erupts each day at 10.15am, called Lady Knox geyser. It was set in an area called Wai-O-Tapu which also had other sites such as colourful lagoons and mud pools in its complex. We took our seats for the geyser which was smoking gently, and were wondering if it was really natural, as how could they guarantee it erupts at the same time every day. Then a guy came to the front with a microphone and told the crowd how the geyser was discovered - there used to be an open prison near it and the prisoners did their washing in it when it was just a hot pool. One of them dropped their soap in it one day and it caused an eruption, so they began to do it every day and the water that spilt out of it caused it to build up into the small rock mountain it is today. Then he explained how he drops some natural detergent into the geyser every day at 10.15 to make it erupt- we knew it! Nevertheless it was really fascinating to see it erupt and once the detergent had got to work it was shooting up water about 15 metres high which was cool to see. It would naturally erupt every 24-72 hours without this, due to the water build up beneath.

We popped to the mud pools next door quickly and saw them bubbling away which was strange, but it was the sulphur underneath that made this happen we were told- and again where there is sulphur there is that smell of rotten eggs again! So we didn’t stay there too long and got back in the van to make the short 40m minute drive to the nearby town of Taupo, where we both wanted to do a sky dive!
When we arrived we watched a few people doing bungees and I think Scott may have decided to do one later on this trip (although he is still trying to persuade Vic’s to join him). Unfortunately by this point the wind had picked up and the heavens had opened so we were unable to book on to a sky dive, so after deciding to find another location on our trip for this activity we had a quick look at the biggest lake in NZ and a bite to eat, before starting the huge 5.5 hour drive to the capital of NZ - Wellington. . .



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



23rd October 2010

Cor blimey
Bloody hell you two. You do not seem to be having the trip of a lifetime. You are having the trip of TEN lifetimes It is fantastic that all the planning and research, that you both carried out before you left the cold, boring UK, is really paying off. All of the sights and expeiences, that you are having seem wonderful. They are so random, and not the general touristy stuff that you would expect. We are begining to miss you both like crazy, but these blogs and messages are just about keeping us going. We look forward to the next exciting instalment of your fantastic adventure. I am sure that you will be able to dine out, on your tales of what you have done, for years to come. We are all ok at home, and are so glad and happy for you both. You really did do the right thing by going, and not listening to the old foagies. Carry on having a ball, and we can't wait to hear from you both again. Always in our thoughts. Mum and Farsh. xxxxxxxxx
23rd October 2010

NZ
One word Amazing!! xxx
23rd October 2010

Taupo!
My old work mate lives right on the edge of the lake in Taupo, shame you weren't spending more time there! Drive safely x
23rd October 2010

Love ya
Just cannot wait to see you both. Stay safe safe safe. All our love. D M S Z L J AND BUDDY XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb