The Big Stink


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
December 6th 2009
Published: February 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Oh, I'm All ExcitedOh, I'm All ExcitedOh, I'm All Excited

She's smiling now...

Rotavegas



Our travellers have arrived in Rotarua, which Sue has aptly named Rotastinky what with the smell of rotten eggs hanging in the air the whole time. This is part of New Zealand's volcanically active region and just by the road there are bubbling pools of volcanic mud, drains by the road have steam coming out of them, the campsite has it's hot water heated from a thermal vent, etc. All a bit freaky.

There are many activities on offer here but all Tim and Sue have energy for after the caving yesterday is a bit of white water rafting. Rotarua is home to a 7m drop waterfall, which is the highest one you can raft in the world. There isn't much to the rafting option they go for - it's a fairly short affair featuring only a few falls, though it does include the big one. After a bit of tuition (Sue's an excellent paddler) they're off being the only people in their boat apart from the guide, followed by another boat fully packed with punters.

Needless to say, there's a lot of whooping over the first couple of falls which are just enough to get into
Stoked, DudeStoked, DudeStoked, Dude

Delusions of rafting competence.
the spirit of things before the biggie. After a bit of psyching-up - it's time to go for it. Over the top (wow, that's quite high, actually) and... a big splash later and they've made it without capsizing. Nice work. Not so lucky are the other boat who don't have the most... adept of crew. It's paddles, people and boat everywhere and a bit of rescue work is required. That's what could have happened to Tim and Sue if it wasn't for their boating skills....

Incidently, the guide who drops us back at the campsite laughs when he's told how much Tim and Sue are paying for their campervan rental. They could have bought one for the price, maybe in better nick too. Something to consider if you're visiting New Zealand with time to find and sell a campervan at each end.

The Polynesian Spa



In stark contrast, a visit to the Polynesian Spa is required to recover. The 'private' spa is the quieter of the two with lots of volcanically-heated pools of differing temperature to try out. Tim and Sue work their way up the temperature scale and looking out over the steaming Rotorua lake it's
First FallFirst FallFirst Fall

Here we go!
a very relaxing experience. Sue's experience is not quite so relaxing as she's rubbed the skin off her fingertips clinging for dear life to the walls of the caves, ouch, still the waters are supposed to have theraputic qualities!

That evening they chance upon Catherine and Paul who they met on The Rock - there's definitely a 'tourist track' in New Zealand - and finish a pleasant day exchanging stories about travelling the world.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Wahey!Wahey!
Wahey!

There - not even as bad as a rollercoaster.
Well, That's One DownWell, That's One Down
Well, That's One Down

That wasn't so bad now, was it?
Now Let's Try This For SizeNow Let's Try This For Size
Now Let's Try This For Size

How hard can it be?
Blimey!Blimey!
Blimey!

Remember the skydive! Remember the skydive!
SplashdownSplashdown
Splashdown

Doubles as submarine.
We Made ItWe Made It
We Made It

Don't you find shutting your eyes kind of takes the edge off the experience?
Phew!Phew!
Phew!

Well, that went about as well as could be expected.
Showing OffShowing Off
Showing Off

Look Ma - no hands.
That's The Way To Do It, SueThat's The Way To Do It, Sue
That's The Way To Do It, Sue

Superior technique.
Come On - This Is Supposed To Be FunCome On - This Is Supposed To Be Fun
Come On - This Is Supposed To Be Fun

"Who's idea was this f****** activity holiday?!"
All DoneAll Done
All Done

They're happy 'cause they've not drowned.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb