Amy, Brian, and a Volcano


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
November 12th 2007
Published: November 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today was spent on a volcanic crater on an offshore island. The day started out very “dodgy”. We left for the bus with plenty of time to spare…until. We forgot the camera, so we screamed back to the inn. “Oh wait, Brian had it the whole time!” Brian and Amy tear off to make the bus but are now late. In his hurry, Brian backs the car into a bench, and forgets he’s in New Zealand and drives into oncoming traffic with Amy saying “Go Left, Go Left!” We just made it and we scramble onto the bus like typical crazy Americans. After a few deep cleansing breaths on the bus ride, we arrive at our port and the boat is beautiful. After an hour boat ride, we offload onto the volcanic island. The pictures say it all. We spent 2 hours sniffing sulfur and learning all about the volcano. This one last erupted in 2000. There are hot spots now where you can put your foot right through the crust and get scorched. There was a landslide there last night and a seismograph didn’t survive. That’s why we have the hardhats and gas masks. We’re now safely ashore, back at our town, and we’re writing this at a Starbucks! We’ve finally succumbed and are paying for internet. You even have to pay at Starbuck’s! We feel so betrayed. We’re headed to a local café for venison burgers and a beer. Sounds good. That’s all for now, stay tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb