KIA ORA from Sulphur City!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Rotorua
April 5th 2007
Published: April 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Whell!

Jumping on the Kiwi Bus is an experience... the driver was this insane kiwi and we were his 'possums'... its great tho. when was it?...Oh yeah, wednesday we went to Mercury bay. we had a quick stop at Mount Eden on the way out of crappy Auckland. Mt Eden is basically a dormant volcano but its at such a point that it gives you 360degree views of Auckland. which is awesome.

We headed to Cathedral Cove, which was so beautiful! there was a helluva long walk down to the beach but sooo worth it! the swimming was cold and i kept getting swept under the surf but it was a great social thing and we actually spoke to some of the people on our bus. which was definately worth it... it can get quite lonely when you only have one other person to talk to! (altho not quite as lonely as travelling alone...)

the hostel was waaay nicer than any of the others we went to(about 100% cleaner and nicer. i think the hostel must have been set up specifically for the kiwi experience buses as we were the only ones staying there!!


yesterday morning we headed off to Rotorua. we stopped at a gold and silver mine (randomly) for a kodak moment, and went for a walk through the karanga--- something---gorge, with 2 swing bridges and 1km long tunnel where we couldnt see ANYTHING and no one told us to take a torch. basterds.

we passed through Hobbiton... or Matamata as its actually called, and i HAD to get the photo... so ill try and upload that at some point.

Rotorua is Sulphur City. it STINKS. but i cant actually smell it anymore... which is good!!! we went to a traditional Maori Village and had a Hangi and this concert thing...

Certainly an experience!!!

The driver who picked us up from the Hostel was INSANE. he kept Beeping his horn and at one point he explained the term KIA ORA (which basically means Hi, How are you...?) in 60 Languages. and he said it in those 60 Languages.

we had to choose a chief from the bus to represent ourselves at the opening ceremony, which we had been warned that the Maori take this v seriously and not to laugh smirk or smile at them...(which was bloody difficult as it was Hilarious! ) coz someone previously had done and got nutted by one of the Maori Men.

The opening Ceremony was basically this dance and some singing by the Maori... and the Chiefs (there were 5 in total) had to participate and 'prove their worth'... i videoed the whole thing...
we then went to the village. it had been built amongst a forest and was so so so beautiful. (sorry... my spelling has disappeared.. i mustve left it in England...) there were maori huts with several different crafts, and some of the Maori were there explaining how each craft was used. which was certainly an insight!
we then went to this big Hut/hall thing where they performed some traditional dancing and singing. which was amazing. its not like anything ive seen/heard before. and it was all in their traditional language.they also performed the Haka... scary as hell! those tounges and the bulging eyes....*shivers*

the Hangi was really good food! cooked in a pit for 7 hrs... smoked lamb and chicken, potatoes...the works. DELICIOUS.

plus it was a buffet. and having not eaten properly since leaving england... we all stuffed ourselves silly!


ill upload some photos when i get a chance. 😉



Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb