Day # 86 - 90


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland
September 5th 2015
Published: September 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Big little adventures is what we have been up to. We have opted to chill in Matauri Bay for a couple of weeks. Every day we have been venturing out finding little tracks and interesting spots to explore. We climb the hill up to the memorial and walk the beach most days. Lance has been biking the hill out of Matauri Bay (Show off!).

So what have we found on our adventures?



Taking the track up to the Rainbow Warrior Memorial and then walking out to the end of the peninsula. This is not really a formed track but we managed to push through the foliage and climb down a bank to the 2 little beaches at the end. What a cool spot with interesting rock structures jutting out from the water. If you scramble around the rocks there is also a beautiful swimming hole. The best time to visit these beaches is at low tide. I suspect when the tide is in there would be little sand. It’s a bit of a slog climbing back up the hill but well worth the effort.
• Again up the RW Memorial track but only about 50 metres then hang a left and walk out to the rocks. There is a huge Rock Gut with waves surging in. You can view from up top (be careful it’s a plunge to death if you fall!) but you can also climb down fairly safely to water level. The high cliffs capture the sound of the waves surging today and really hype up your senses. I can imagine in a storm how exhilarating it would be to view (perhaps at a higher spot).


Yesterday we decided to climb down the Memorial hill on the beach side. Not really a track but we could see a track from the beach leading up so thought we could find it coming down. Well we did eventually however this is not a track for the faint hearted. As we worked away around and got closer to the beach the track got very narrow with big drop offs to rocks. At one point Lance thought he would bail and turn back (At this point he was clinging to a tree). But decided he was just as scared going back as going forward so he followed me after I said I think it looks better up ahead (except for maybe one spot I thought at the time). We made it with a cheer as our feet landed on the sand. Lance’s first words were “Well I won’t be recommending that track to anyone!!!!”. He certainly earnt himself a drink anyway. Wine in hand watching the dolphins play in the Bay is a nice way to end the day full of adventures.



This morning I headed out in my pyjamas to take photos of the sunrise. What a glorious morning, a little cool on the feet though. I spotted a couple of Orca Whales cruising past the Bay but they were quite far out so the photo is average but still proof I wasn’t seeing things😊.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



6th September 2015
Sunrise

Photos!
Hey Cheryl, your photos are getting better and better! And they were good to start with.
19th September 2015
Sunrise

Thanks Andrew. I am enjoying the new scenery and the time. Lance occasionally rolls his eyeballs when we are out walking and I stop to take the perfect shot........it takes a while sometimes:)
19th September 2015
Sunrise

Thanks Andrew. I am enjoying the new scenery and the time. Lance occasionally rolls his eyeballs when we are out walking and I stop to take the perfect shot........it takes a while sometimes:)

Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 15; qc: 84; dbt: 0.233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb