To the Top of the Down Under; Cape Reinga


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Cape Reinga
December 1st 2010
Published: December 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We were up early the next morning and after a quick breakfast of granola and fresh garden strawberries we were off to Cape Reinga. (The very tippity-top of new Zealand!) This was another several hours in the car but great scenery and many short stops along the way made it a quick trip. We stopped to admire the ocean view from the far north-west’s “The 90 Mile Beach” (It’s actually only 55 miles long but that’s still pretty massive!) and I got to see my first real New Zealand traffic jam! A herd of hundreds of freshly sheered sheep scampering across the windy, narrow, hillside road (that was actually a state highway, by the way) as a farmer and three very enthusiastic and content looking sheep dogs fallowed closely behind.

Cape Reinga seemed to appear out of nowhere and before I knew it we were in the car park. We walked down the gravel path to the rocky cliff side and towards the lighthouse. Along the way were dozens of signs detailing the sight’s historical and cultural significance. According to Mari legend, Cape Reinga is where the spirits depart onto their next life. It is also were the Pacific Ocean and Tasman Sea meet and you can see the currents colliding in a line that spreads out across the ocean. Where the seas meet is also said to be where the female and male oceans join and represents the creation of new life.

A single Pohutukawa tree grows out from the rocky shoals along the western side. Apparently the tree is over 800 years old and miraculously manages to survive amidst impossible conditions of little soil and no shelter against crashing waves of salt water. But unlike other Pohutukawa trees, this one has never been known to blossom. Even on a gray blustery day like it was, it was easy to sense the strong spiritual presence that this place holds. It was respectfully un-plagued by touristy type things and very reflective. Just the crashing waves, wind, and a Maori song being sung carried over the cliffs. Quite an amazing place.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb