The northern tip and a house fire!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Cape Reinga
August 15th 2009
Published: August 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saturday morning I was once again up and about early as my body is still struggling to adjust to the time change.

Once we were up and the car packed we went for a walk around Pahia itself. Unfortunately the weather was overcast and damp was in the air. Having wandered around the town and decided the weather wasn't good enough to go out on a boat tour of the Bay ofIslands as the rain had started and the seas were looking choppy we headed back to the luxury of the car. A quick scan of the map and we decided to head north towards the northern tip and Cape Riega.

We took the coastal road up and eventually ended up in Doubtless Bay named so named courtesy of Captain Cook as in his journal he wrote “doubtless it was a bay” and so the bay earned its name. We stopped off in Mangonui and stretched our legs. By this time the rain had stopped but it was still overcast. After a wander around and being concerned by people keeping what looked like stuffed foxes in the car and some mean beefy looking guys driving in and unloading wild pigs as there was a pig hunt competition on we made a hasty retreat and kept on heading north.

We eventually hit the bottom of 90 mile beach and so drove the “poor”starlet down on to the beach. I was tempted to drive her along the beach however she wasn't very happy with the sand so after a quick stop off for a picnic lunch I pointed her back to the road and we travelled up to the cape. The views at the cape were amazing and you could clearly see where the Pacific and Tasman seas meet.

On leaving the cape the debate was where we were going to stay that night however just started heading southwards and decided we would see how far we got before I got too tired. Between there and our home for the night we did have a minor worrying time when it was looking touch and go as to whetehr we may run out of petrol (it is now duly noted that in rural areas that petrol stations can be over 50km apart!). After hitting a small town and asking the local “youths” (who Steve thought were going to try and join us in the car) we found a petrol station and once again the Starlet could breath easy.

That night we ended up back at Pahia as I was starting to get tired and also Steve had left his towel at the hostel so we decided it was as easy as anywhere. Luckily we made it just before reception was closing (it has now been duly noted that receptions over here shut around 7pm rather than the usual 24hour receptions we are both used to in South America!). After a fantastic nights sleep in some of the comfiest beds we were woken up by shouting in the street at 5.45am after a quick glance out of the window it became apparent that the house across the street was on fire. Unfortunately the house was destroyed but we don't think anyone was injured......

The next morning we were up and out and heading to the sulphurous town of Rotorua.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb