Paihia to Tapotupotu Bay


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland » Cape Reinga
October 3rd 2005
Published: October 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The bus will pick us up at 7:15 am, so we are up early. We store our two bags at the hotel and get on the bus with our backpacks. On the way to Cape Reinga we stop at the ancient Puketi Kauri wood forest. The trees are almost as big as our giant redwoods. They have been logged almost to extinction so the forests are now protected.
We proceed to Cape Reinga and walk up to the point, with a picturesque lighthouse. From this point, you can look down to where the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean come together. It isn’t like a straight line, more like waves going many different directions. A pretty humbling natural phenomenon.
The bus driver talks us into being dropped off at Tapotupotu Bay to camp and take hikes from there. She tells us they will pick us up on Wednesday at the Bay unless it is raining. If it is raining we will have to meet them at Cape Reinga. We are dropped off about 1:30 pm and there are many camper vehicles there. We find a good tent site that is protected from the wind and set up camp. All evening squalls come and go so we are in and out of our tent, hoping that the weather will clear by tomorrow.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb