Day 158 New Zealand, Bay of Isles.


Advertisement
Published: April 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hello Family, friends and bloggers,



Woke up early and Neil cooked us scrambled eggs and toast (they were really tasty), we waited until 0830 when our car was dropped off at the hostel. We filled in all the paper work and checked the car out before heading off to Cape Regina.



The guy who gave us the car told us to drive the a scenic route, which was on the way, he said it was amazing drive and scenery-and it really was!!!



We drove out of Paihia on highway 10, the car came with a map plus we had one in our lonely planet guide. I was navigating as I don’t drive but Vick is a great little driver.



Our detour took us 40km off course on a round loop, we saw Matauri Bay, which looked over Cavalli Island. Then looping around Tauranga bay and Whangarora. The pictures we got are amazing the landscape is quite amazing.



We then drove about 80 km to Awanui before heading up highway 1 to Cape Reinga.



On the way to cape Reinga we stopped off at Te werahi Beach to sand board. It was great fun we hired one board at the beach for $15 but you could get them cheaper at stops on the way but they were all closed!! L Hope you enjoy the pictures of us!!! It’s a must to sand board and see the dunes, they come out of nowhere: one second it’s beach, then green hills then a massive sand dune!!!



Cape Reigna was nice it was a 30 min walk down to it and worth it to see the oceans meeting. (Tasmanian and Pacific) This is where the souls enter the underworld according to Maori beliefs.



We drove down to 90-mile beach near Waiharara. It was just 90 miles of beach, we would have driven it but you need a 4X4 to do it, and we got the feel of driving on sand on Fraser Island.



After we drove back around 6pm (a long day of driving) we showered reheated our spag bowl left overs from last night. We drank wine and beer and wrote out some over due blogs.



We also booked the car for another day as we want to see Waipoua forest to see giant Kauri trees.



At 9pm we met our new Asian roommate’s!!! They are from Taiwan, Japan and Korea. (They love blow-drying their hair at night and putting make up on before bed?? Strange and slightly annoying lol.



Hope you enjoy today’s adventures.



Love V&N X


Additional photos below
Photos: 114, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb