DAY 13 NEW PLYMOUTH


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » New Plymouth
February 13th 2023
Published: February 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Wanted this
The previous day concluded with me saying that a day staying put and reading a book would be the go. Not surprisingly, it didn’t happen … from 3pm it did as we returned to the same spot as last evening.

We visited Te Rewa Rewa Bridge hoping to get a shot of Mt Taranaki/Mt Egmont through the ‘gap’, however the mountain was covered in cloud and the bridge was under repair. The coastal walk began from the bridge and headed for 12km to the beachfront of New Plymouth. We walked 15 minutes towards NP and returned to the bridge. Into NP and the beach to view the surf and sand before heading to a high spot near the aquatic centre for Jane to do a 4km walk while I ‘planned’.

The ‘plan’ proved to be flexible as the weather continued to dictate terms … cold droplets … and … temperature dropping to 13. We headed for Mt Egmont visitors centre on the mountainside, donned our ‘mountaineering’ gear and set off on a hike, all 30 minutes of it as all the longer tracks were closed. The temperature had dropped to 9 degrees and the rain was large cold droplets

Got this
… not deluge rain. We absolutely loved the walk. The forest was lush green, thoroughly moist, with moss covering tree branches and trunks and the ground floor. Our sort of hiking. The drive from Mt Egmont gateway at the base to the visitors centre was along a narrow, very windy 2 lane road bordered on both sides by trees 15m to at times 20m high, covered in vines, ferns and moss. A beautiful drive. As Mt Egmont is a skiing mountain, we commented on the traffic jams during the winter ski season.

From there we descended to the beautiful Lake Mangamahoe, where we found a quite layup with a wonderful view and lunched on scrumptious sandwiches prepared by chef, Jane and washed down with a wine by Jane and a port by me. Black swans kept us entertained as they fed and flew in V formation. There were ducks galore with their little ducklings obediently following behind. It was drizzly rain with droplets running down the windows of the van. We were warm inside and reminisced on our previous travels and the gratitude we have for our life lived so far.

Time to move on and it was
a short squizzy at the town centre before heading to ‘our spot’ for a coffee and date scone. Jane has quickly fallen asleep. The day cannot end without commenting on New Plymouth town … so well kept … clean … colourful … all amenities … with many different outdoor activities using the natural surrounds on offer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement




Coastal Walk, New Plymouth



Beginning Mt Taranaki/Mt Egmont track walk (small)


The mountain as we began.



Memorial


Beautiful walking track.



Moss covers everything.



Moss


Andrew bringing up the rear.


Chef preparing lunch


Lunch venue ... for free


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb