NAPIER, NEW ZEALAND FROM M/S OOSTERDAM


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Napier
February 19th 2014
Published: February 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

NAPIER, NZ FROM THE M/S OOSTERDAM



Napier is on the east coast of the North Island and has some beautiful beaches, but I will remember it as a stop which far exceeded my expectations as a fun destination. I didn’t get there, but the city with the longest name, Taumatawhakatanghihangako-au-auotamteaturipukakapikimaungahoronuku-pokaiwhenuakitanatahu, really stressed my spell checker. Say that fast a couple of times!



Captain Cook discovered Hawke’s Bay in 1769 while charting the New Zealand shore. Whalers established an outpost here in the 1830’s and a city was established in the mid 19th century. The city was hit by a disastrous earthquake, 7.9 on the Richter scale, on February 3, 1931 causing widespread destruction and killing more than 250 people. The rebuilding effort was undertaken during the Great Depression and the decision to use the clean and simple Art Deco design is strongly celebrated today. The walking tour down some mostly pedestrian streets makes the designs very visible and the atmosphere is fun. Many “ambassadors” dressed in 1930’s fashions stroll through the city, welcoming visitors and answering any questions. 1930’s cars, such as Packards and Buicks are on display and available for hire. I had lunch at a sidewalk café and just enjoyed the 1930s vintage atmosphere. The annual Food and Wine Festival will culminate with the Art Deco weekend this week.

ILYS

TKB


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

GUIDE AND STATUEGUIDE AND STATUE
GUIDE AND STATUE

THE LADY THAT LED THE RECONSTRUCTION PARADE


19th February 2014

So glad you were able to start your trip without the "storm" delays. Just got home myself with stories of long delays. Enjoying the views and history from your trip. Looking forward to more adventures. Safe travels friend.
19th February 2014

Napier, NZ
Would I love to be there with Art Deco style and it's vintage atmosphere - The sports cars are just amazing - My favorite place so far - You look great next to the Buick - even matches your T-shirt! - The pictures are just amazing - as usual, you are doing a wonderful job ILYC-
19th February 2014

Roaring Fun
The 30's and Art Deco photos were fabulous! What fun it must've been to experience live!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb