T minus 7: one week until we leave...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Kapiti Coast » Te Horo
May 23rd 2011
Published: May 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

It's been a roller-coaster last couple of months, as we madly try to finalise our travel plans, finish off a PhD thesis, complete work projects, find other colleagues to caretake a business, etc.

After 28+ years our old horse Mr Leroy Brown decided his time was up and we all shed a few tears as we buried him in the top paddock at home.

Then 3 weeks ago, our beloved dog Roxy was bowled by a car on the road outside. It was touch-and-go for the first 10 days, then surgery to amputate her hind leg but she's recovering fast and getting around pretty well on 3 legs. She started barking again the other night, so we knew she was really on the mend. We'll be able to leave her in the care of Amanda, Abbie & Ella, knowing that she's getting back to her old lovable self.

Patch (the cat) seems unmoved by the drastic events that have befallen her animal companions! She'll be taken care of by Elena who'll be house-sitting for us at #33. Fiona will hold the keys to the bach (beach house), which might be well used by friends whilst we're away.

Yesterday, Elena, Amanda, Fiona, and neighbours Jane & Chris and John & Lorraine came around for a cuppa to meet eachother and to sort out a few last minute arrangements. Luke and Sharon couldn't make it but Luke already knows what to do to take care of the garden. Others like Stuart & Sheena and Kim & Brian are on standby should they be needed to help out. The house, bach and animals will be in good hands!

As we move into autumn the days are getting cooler in NZ, so it must be time for the Thompsons to migrate north west to warmer climes...



Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb